FDA Approves Otsuka and Lundbeck’s REXULTI (Brexpiprazole)

Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Otsuka) and H. Lundbeck A/S (Lundbeck) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved REXULTI® (brexpiprazole) as an adjunctive therapy for the treatment of adults with major depressive disorder (MDD) and as a treatment for adults with schizophrenia.

REXULTI was discovered by Otsuka and co-developed with Lundbeck. It will be co-marketed by the two companies and is expected to become available to patients in the U.S. in early August 2015.

“One key priority for physicians is to find medications that help improve symptoms and are tolerable for patients”

2 Likes

More medication options are always a good thing. More information here:

Less akathisia from a D2 dopamine partial agonist? Uhh… Can’t wait to see how this turns out. (Not gonna take this stuff myself, however.)

I’m on abilify, and if this is easier to tolerate I’d take it. I’m going to wait a while (2 years?) just to make sure there’s nothing horribly wrong with it.

This drug is supposed to be less activating than Abilify - I may try it.

Risperdal is a very good drug, but too many harsh side effects.

As a matter of fact - I will be making the switch, Ive been waiting for this drug to come out for a long time

1 Like

I think that’s a very good idea, because this drug has a mechanism of action that seem to me far more like an anti-D than an anti-P. Personally, I am waiting to see what the great Stephen Stahl has to say about it (see https://stahlonline.cambridge.org/aboutus.jsf) as he has been the single most respected name in the basic education on psychopharmacology over the past 15 years or so.

1 Like
1 Like

I dont know now, Brexpiprazole is chemically very similar to Aripiprazole - Abilify was a bad drug for me.

I am having second thoughts on taking it as my primary antipsychotic - maybe as an add on to help alleviate my OCD symptoms?

I am confused as usual - going to talk it over with my pdoc soon about my situation

1 Like

I couldnt tolerate 3 days half life of abilify. Any idea what is the half life of brexpiprazole ?