FDA approves first digital drug to track if you take your meds

Well that makes me feel a little bit better about it I guess.

1 Like

Is it just me or would this idea of monitoring a patient so closely be counterproductive? I mean, some of us had delusions about surveillance and implanted chips in our head and what have you. And now they want to place pills with tracking devices in our bodies hence confirming the patient’s delusion…

2 Likes

Yeah I got a third shot in the butt that they told me didn’t exist. My butt hurt for 3 or 4 Days. I still wonder about it even though I have no parinoia.

Just read a bcc news article about schizophrenia medication now being trackable to increase medication compliance, perhaps they will be jailing people who refuse medication next.

8 Likes

Yeah a trackable pill doesn’t make us paranoid at all in the slightest bit when we are deeply psychotic and really in need of that pill!!

1 Like

honestly who comes up with these ludicrous ideas, I was once put on a medication for schizophrenia that had the side effect: may cause suicidal thoughts

2 Likes

yeah the anti-depressant meds have the side-effect “may increase depression or cause suicidal thoughts”

pretty ironic if you ask me

but hey everyones different I guess, its a lot of trial and error. I was never med compliant the first couple years of severe psychosis until abilify and other meds seemed to work for me. Now I am happy to be med compliant. People don’t give us enough credit for what we have to deal with. They forget about the whole meds balancing situation that can be a struggle till the day you die. They think its easy being schizophrenic and disability because I get money and don’t work…but at the end of the day id trade that money for a normal life any day. They think I like not being able to work?

2 Likes

As far as I’ve read, the tracking pill is completely voluntary, and the patient can revoke rights to the information at any time.

They can be useful for patients who tend to become psychotic and “forget” to take their meds, but in reality wants to stay on them, and needs someone else to make sure they do.

They can also be useful for making sure patients can’t lie to their therapists. I know we have our rights and such, but if a patient claims to take their meds, when they really don’t, they are keeping the therapists from helping them, and keeping themselves from getting the help they need.

And court-ordered medicined patients would no longer be able to lie about taking the meds either.

I don’t think it’ll be used to villify patients.
But I can see how it might increase paranoia in some.

1 Like

lol 15hxhdhdjdjdn

1 Like

That would be the worst thiing that could happen! As if were not paranoid enough! FXXK that! Thats the worse news chaps x

I think you break that down into a case to case basis.

There are some very volatile individuals out there that really can’t handle the stress of their life. I’ve seen a couple guys in the ward who’d start throwing furniture around on a routine basis. One of them seemed addicted to his sedatives and would act up just to get them because his mid-line wasn’t tolerable.

The state does try to be fair, but it’s a sensitive line of respect that will really pit them against you and yes the system is corrupt in a lot of instances, but that’s really not the case for the realm of little fish that lack big identities.

Prejudice and discrimination are real indeed. If someone is in the routine of dealing with certain character types then they might not be inclined to show personal concern.

I was hella misdiagnosed at first and the head psych of the team was nothing but mean to me. She also looked exhausted and was probably under paid. That’s more an issue of lacking funding and staff to keep the pros more inclined to appreciate their role and profession instead of loathing the more specific burdens of each patient.

This technology will be good in some cases… and bad in a whole lot of others. People are paranoid about being chipped and it’s sad as hell a lot of them verifiably will be. Their doctor and family better be inclined to be patient and thorough in helping psychotic individuals cope with that reality.

That bleeds into an opportunity for a new relationship between patients and doctors because it will be too much hell for the concerned to suffer knowing that they are literally making a paranoid individual’s delusions true… and again they might be more inclined to actually sit down and talk through the delusion of the sufferer… only in this case it’d be sadly true that they are chipped… because that is a hard thing to trust in general…

The new situation mandates that the parties involved are actually going to be in pursuit of emotional acceptance of having the chip… which breeds experience in both staff and family regarding open-dialog therapy… and the first baby steps of a patient to remain calm and open to new ideas of acceptance and trust.

If the whole thing blows up and proves unviable… I’m guessing the technology will only be utilized in cases of legal requirement or as an option for those who want the convenience and structure of the chip, but not in cases where an MI individual is not considered as having violent potentials outside of normal standards.

I think I’m out of thoughts on the matter… aside from saying that I’ve been paying a lot more attention to the positive trends in the world… and really across the board… people are making head way in positive directions with the appropriate good intent and to stand as an example… once all that kind of stuff hit’s convenience and commonality required for mass appeal we’ll be in line for a more obvious and prevalent sense that the world is moving forward and that it’s structure isn’t intrinsically evil… and that ■■■■ bags are ■■■■ bags… man or woman or whatever… that totally deserve to be driven out of more innocent realms to deal more exclusively with their ■■■■-baggy-oriented selves… while the others who are more inclined to respect innocence are allowed back in to where peace and prosperity dominate and will always dominate… because it’s what is actually driving the world. (It’s better at it, because it loves doing so, because it’s filled and fueled with heart.) [and just wanting the shitbags to quit ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ up]

There’s also the case of individuals who when stable, recognize the need for meds and want to be on them and fear what could happen if they go off. Of course, all this would do is notify someone. If there was no legal requirement for that person to take their meds, the most that might happen is a phone call reminding you to take your pill.

Reminds me of a dystopian type thing. Like monitoring anyone is not a good idea. We don’t want it done to the general population so why do it to us?

This is a joke video so keep in mind I’m only posting it because it’s related to what McCain posted and none of the people in the video are serious.

5 Likes

As someone who had to fight against court ordered treatment with a lawyer, this scares the hell out of me. They’re literally coming up with ways to make people like me even more paranoid than I would otherwise be.

1 Like

I thought this was supposed to be on a voluntary basis,although I agree the potential for abuse/misuse is there.
Wouldn’t it better though if they want the severely mentally ill to be more compliant with medications to get around to producing meds with less side effects?
For some people the positive therapeutic benefit to side effects ratio just isn’t there.

What happens if you just put the pill in some soapy water? Or break it open and swallow the transmitter

Looks like they will be releasing a version in opiod painkillers to help prevent addiction and misuse.

1 Like

It probably works on whether a signal keeps transmitting. Digest the transmitter, signal stops, they are told you took the pill.

So I guess flushing it down the toilet would work.