Early Symptom Severity Predicts Accelerated Brain Gray Matter Reduction

Another study showing that its the schizoprhenia thats causing the gray matter loss ([not medications as some anti-psychiatry people promote)]1:

Another good reason to get treatment as quickly as possible, and stay on medications to reduce relapse risk.

Summary:

Steeper gray matter loss seems to be unique to those individuals with higher levels of sub-psychotic pre-delusional symptoms that acutely worsen in the ramp-up to full-blown psychosis, and as such may reflect pathophysiological processes driving emergence of psychosis

1 Like

Nope.

Thats old (10 year old) data and was only “associated with” … The new research indicates otherwise:

well this proves what I’ve always said that I am “dumber” than when before I fell ill to schizophrenia. I can’t read books anymore and I do dumb things that I didn’t used to do before the illness. I wonder how much brain tissue I actually lost.

Hmmm… I didn’t realise as data got old that it became invalid. All I see is one study saying meds shrink healthy primate brains and another saying schizophrenia accelerates normal shrinkage. All I see is a double cumulative whammy, not mutually exclusive causes.

I’m on meds.

I wonder how much remediation is possible through Cognitive Rehabilitation Therapy?

10-96

For what it’s worth, fishoil/omega3 has been shown to be helpful with regards to brain volume. Here’s a random study I just found.

Also, exercise builds brain volume in schizophrenia.

I’ve always thought that it was psychosis that fried my brain. I had accelerated brain gray matter reduction, because I was paranoid long before the psychosis. I can tell too.

This is depressing. I should take a break (not have one).

1 Like