Drug for paranoia (non AP)

My paranoia is effecting me can you guys suggest a good med for this problem but no APs and no seizure meds

Thanks

yeah, miracle drug #3005, rub 2 glass slippers together, when they spark and catch fire, run them to the well.
With all the excitement going on, you’ll probably forget about those two bald guys standing in the corner talking about you.

5 Likes

Benzos. Xanax or Ativan.

2 Likes

Benzos were the only other med that could pull me out of a paranoia episode within 30 mins.

Unfortunately they can be addictive and are not good to be on long term.

(As if antipsychotics aren’t equally damaging if not more damaging to your health to be on long term :unamused: )

1 Like

I have a rx for Vistaril but it makes me tired. I have taken it in the past for anxiety and it helped a little. My thoughts make me paranoid so I feel like I need to go after the thoughts, in my case. Honestly, I up my Risperidone by a 1mg when I get paranoid. My rx is written that way.

1 Like

Lexapro is pretty good

2 Likes

I’ll second Lexapro. I chilled out about every single thing within a week of taking it.

3 Likes

Truth. I keep a recovery diary of when I am paranoid and how the paranoia has turned out to be unfounded. It is a powerful thing to have written proof of how decades of paranoia turned out to be wrong. Helps you mentally ‘push’ the paranoia aside as a useless thought and keep functioning. Developing coping strategies will be the most effective tool in the long term and you won’t hurt your body or develop an addiction.

There are workbooks available to help with this (and they are also much cheaper than benzos):

:blush:

3 Likes

You can try SSRIs, but I’d go with a tricyclic antidepressant such as imipramine.

2 Likes

Antidepressants can add fuel to the fire and make psychosis (Paranoia) worse.

Maybe ask for a Benzodiazepine like Ativan or Klonopin on an as needed basis.

1 Like

Wow I’ve never seen a book like that! Neat!! Personally I also prefer to manage my paranoia without meds. I’ve gotten really good at it over the years. I know all my triggers and can brace myself for when they happen…I know nothing can harm me now…it’s just a lot of being able to maintain a rational thought process about it all and keep it from escalating to the point where you can’t do that anymore.

3 Likes

@shutterbug I will look into a book, but its clear paranoia is to clever to be tamed.

Also how people treat me and get agressive with me is awful, its everyone else who has the problem

@Wave ativan would be good but im doubtful my pdoc will hand it out over here in UK the mental system is awful absolute trash they never hand out benzos!

Ive been on Lexapro (citalopram) it made me go crazy after 3 months of 40/60mg daily also caused bad hair loss and raised T levels and thyroid issues

Ativan would be ideal but lorazpam in Uk is hard to obtain from pdoc

I looked into atypical ADs as mirtazapine is great for me but the other atypicals looked not so good im still interested in finding additional meds to help my illness

1 Like

That workbook looks good
But ill search for free worksheets instead on google
Cannot afford the whole book

I found that AP’s were the only answer for my paranoia. I have to be on three of them to totally eliminate my paranoia. One of them is an injectable.

My son was once told by his pdoc that the only cure for his intractable paranoia was a lobotomy.

Naltrexone is better for my psychosis than high dose abilify. I only met one other person that says naltrexone works as an antipsychotic. But it’s done miracles for me! I know, old thread.