Does modafanil cause psychosis or is it rare?

Wellbutrin gave me energy but causes weight gain. If I ask about modafanil will it cause psychosis or is it rare like with wellbutrin? I had high hopes for wellbutrin I’m now 250 lbs this is not working

Have you tried consuming less calories cutting back on carbs a bit and moving around a bit more everyday?

1 Like

Modafanil prevents reuptake of dopamine, which would put more dopamine in your system. Give sz is thought to be caused by too high dopamine levels, I would not recommend.

1 Like

Says the guy on metformin. No offence but if you couldn’t prevent yourself from getting high blood sugar without meds then you have no room to talk. Meds block the metabolism and cause lack of motivation. I need a pill to reverse the damage an antipsychotic is doing to my body. I have no energy and as a schizophrenic you should know that

Easy tiger, @Wave was just trying to help. I’m seeing a hospital dietician and am on a calorie controlled diet to lose weight. I’m on metformin too.

Ask your doctor to hook you up with a dietician. If I’m making progress, then anybody can. I don’t exercise, I just diet. But getting help in the form of a dietician was key. I was failing on my own.

Meds won’t help you lose weight you’ve gained, only diet, and if you’re able exercise.

1 Like

Relax, I was just trying to dish out some sound advice.

There is no magic pill.

I’ve lost weight on Risperdal.

I watch what I eat and walk everyday, Metformin has very little to do with it.

Sorry I’m just sick of hearing this from everyone. Diets make you perpetually hungry. Why is it that people with binge eating disorder get vyvanse but when I eat like a regular person and never sit at a stable weight I cant get help from a medicine

1 Like

I understand, most psych meds are weight gainers.

I struggle with my weight also - it’s never easy.

Modafanil can trigger or worsen psychotic episodes.

1 Like

Dieting isn’t easy, but it’s the only way. It sure ain’t easy. It might even be tougher for schizophrenics, but I don’t know that for sure.

One trick I learned that works with abilify is to take a bcomplex. That curbs abilify induced food cravings. I only take a bcomplex with 100% rda of b vitamins, nothing stronger.

But I still have to diet.

4 Likes

Have you tried Abilify? I’m on 10 mg and haven’t had any weight gain.

I wanted to try abilify but sounds like some people still gain weight on it.

It’s the AP least associated with weight gain, so it could be worth a shot.

1 Like

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=modafinil+psychosis Several items mentioning modafinil and psychosis but unfortunately none of them with an abstract.

Modafinil is used in the treatment of excessive day time sleepiness as-
sociated with several clinical conditions. It can also be used for affective
stimulation for working late and/or concentrating for a long time. The
reported cases of psychosis associated with modafinil use in the literature,
have medical or psychiatric diorders. There is only one reported case
without medical or psychiatric disorder but developed modafinil relat-
ed psychosis, which is a case under simulated shift work in laboratory
conditions. The cases in the literature are reported to develop mania or
psychosis with 200-400 mg/day or higher doses. The case reported in this
manuscript develop psychosis with 100 mg/day dosage. This case has no
previous psychiatric and medical disorder history and not being on a shift
work. The aim of modafinil use in this case was reported as increasing the
concentration and performance while studying. Modafinil using patients
must be psychiatrically monitored for its potential psychotic effect even in
previously healthy individuals and low doses.
Keywords:
Modafinil, psychosis, attention

Post-marketing reports have included cases of psychosis, mania, and suspected serious skin reactions

One must be cautious while using modafinil in patients with schizophrenia, as it may lead rarely to exacerbation of psychosis.

You may try low doses of modafinil but it will worsen psychosis at high doses. I was on 100mg for a year, but later my psychosis came back so I had to discontinue it.

Topomax was helping me lose weight by allowing me to go without food for moderate periods of time.

2 Likes