Does anyone here miss the pre illness life?

Back when I dwelled on my losses from getting this illness, yes, I missed my pre illness life. I used to work as an architect and I loved my life. Now I hate my life and just try to be as happy as I used to, although it never measures up because I have way too much time on my hands. Not enough to do…well, have another cup of coffee I guess.

I miss my old life, yes. I can’t dwell on that.

give me back alaska and i may be tempted.

I’m trying to get back into it. It’s tough after being sedentary for so long, it’s hard not to compare myself to how I used to be. I no longer have that drive I used to have to push myself. I remember looking forward to getting up in the morning to run, now it’s complete torture. I keep thinking that as I lose more weight, get stronger, faster my love for running and exercise will come back. I hope so.

1 Like

I was probably ill before I go hospitalized at 23. The thing was though that I self diagnosed as Schizoid. So I must have had some insight.

I really miss the years leading up to my first involuntary admission, simply because I was doing a lot of things like sports and travelling. I was also a free man, with privacy to do and think as I pleased.

Im still a little confused as to how delusional I actually was when I got ill, but I seem to think that my personal crisis made it much worse. But I was ill definately.

I guess life after the schiz diagnosis needs not be bad, if you have support from family and maybe friends, and try to accept that your different from the norm.

But I must say, that I certainly dont like to be “numbed” by meds.

I don’t think meds make you numb.

Yes I miss the pre-illness life, but I don’t really have much of it since my mental illness began when I was 13. But before I got sz at 18, I was enjoying my astronomy and art hobbies at 15-17. Miss those stargazing days, I just can’t seem to bring them back, although I can stargaze still if I want. The thing was I wanted to go to varsity to study astronomy or art, but then my sz took that opportunity away.

I don’t. I feel my life is much better after I got diagnosed.

In one way mine is too - that I got to know God since my diagnosis. But I still miss those carefree teen years staring at the heavens!

1 Like

@Saadiqah
Now I am wondering if I was normal before or just carefree/ignorant of real difficulties. My psychometric test reports say that I have poor insight into the problems. :confused:

I can’t even remember what my life was before being diagnosed in 2012! I don’t even know who I am anymore. what will the next life after this be like? Will I still be sad n hopeless? Will I still have schizophrenia?

Sometimes, I do miss having a career, my very own apartment to myself, and a lady friend.

But illness does have somewhat brought me on ground. I used to be ignorant, overconfident, maniac, avoidant before. I am now somewhat more down-to-earth.

i miss it. i just feel so different from other people. this forum has really helped me out feeling normal

Yes I do! I was much more confident, attractive, peaceful, fortunate, better relations with everyone hopefully i’ll be in remission of my illness but i don’t want any new problems to pop up. I have a great fear of this. When i’m symptom free is a time that i can breathe and fall asleep.

I lost (went bunkers) it at 20 years old. What did I had at that age. I was a kid!
I didn’t have a life! I lost my joy my chance! That’s what I lost!

I don’t remember pre-illness. I don’t remember most of the past ten years either.

@guerreiro Man I was 16 years old at that time.

I used to have fun now because of depression - anhedonia I no longer have it…

@geeknoid With onsets that early, there is little or no life to be missed before that. Common, 16 is a child.