Does anyone get fixated on things?

I tend to get fixated on things. I recently got fixated on hats, so I bought 10 hats off of the Internet, and now I don’t care about hats.

Has this type of compulsion happened to anyone? And why do you think it happens?

1 Like

I tend to get fixated on things for a short while, like you did with hats.
It’s taken me a long while, but I’ve learnt to calm myself down and take it slower so I don’t rush into things.

When the fixation hits me, it feels like everything about it has to happen RIGHT NOW, and I want to tell everyone about it.
However, if I wait a little before I act on it, the fixation usually tapers off on its own.

I don’t know why it happens to us, but I have a feeling that for me, it comes from feeling like “Hey! Here’s finally something I can be in control of!”, because my life is pretty incontrollable.

2 Likes

@Berru

Thanks for that good advice. Yeah, I need some type of response interruption to prevent me from going on these binges.

Also, usually when I do fixate on something, in order to pass the time, I tend to research everything about it before I go and act on it.
Like, let’s say I suddenly want to start collecting dolls. Instead of bying dolls, I research where to get them, where it’s cheapest, I do the math on how much I’d need to save up, etc.
I did that recently when I got fixated on having another tattoo. I could have easily called the tattooist and set up an appointment, but instead, I did research, and by the time I was ready to get tattooed, I didn’t want to anymore.
(tbh I didn’t have the money either, but the design I’d come up with suddenly didn’t look very appealing to me after all)

2 Likes

@Berru

Yeah, research is an excellent response interruption.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks.

1 Like

I have such a compulsion about girls but I couldn’t buy them ever so I can not understand if I will care about them or not :wink:

I get obsessed with stuff I normally have no interest in, I’m able to control not buying whatever it is anymore. I used to just spend hours searching and buying whatever, then once I got it lost interest in it.

Now I may look at it online, but think long and hard before I hit the add to cart button

2 Likes

Yup. Done it recently with healing crystals. It can be super demoralising when an interest peters out as I’m left alone with my avolition and lack of motivation.

Don’t know if avolition and lack of motivation are issues for you? Or the control issue as someone above said?

1 Like

Yes I’m similar, @kindness . I get fixated on clothes a lot. And I absolutely have to have what I have in mind as soon as possible. Then when I get it, I lose my interest in it.

1 Like

Yeah… I have it too. Need to distract myself :o) And have healthy habits. So I will give this meditation / chanting / positivity / and good vibes a try. I really need to get healthy =(

1 Like

I obsess and fixate over certain things too.
It gets tiring.

1 Like

I do that sometimes but luckily I’m very tightfisted so I never buy anything.

2 Likes