Do you think this disease makes us unlikeable in real life?

Yes I think so. Today I had a fun dose of paranoia at the supermarket as some employees were chatting and one looked in my direction which was enough for me to put a scowl on my face. I guess I can’t really blame such folks for not living up to my standards or whatever they are.

1 Like

A lot of the confusions lies in us waiting for others to act first in a nice way to us, not many do.
Sometimes you just got to smile first and say hello in a friendly way for others to follow.

2 Likes

I have been told I have this look of innocence and vulnerability. People like me most of the time but if I let them in tiooo much that quickly changes.

2 Likes

A resounding NO! I’ve had a few close friends who had paranoid schizophrenia and they were very likable, cool, and nice. We had a lot of fun going to clubs and out to restaurants or just sitting in out houses drinking coffee. I had a friend for six years who had paranoid schizophrenia We went to AA meetings 5 or 6 nights a week together for four years. We went all over the place doing fun things. A girl I went out with for a short while had schizophrenia but she was the sweetest girl I was lucky enough to ever know.

6 Likes

I can be a bit passive and reserved in conversation. No problems at all with responding, and I will show interest and ask questions as well, if the conversation goes back and forth. But some people are, well, like me. That is not a good match. I have a hard time and also little interest to keep initiating conversations: if someone is (also) a bit closed and reserved, I am unlikely to keep ‘pulling’. Whereas others may have to do this with me… it’s a bit hyprocritical, if it was a choice. My friends do not really care, I have explained it to them, and it has been a lot worse than it is now. But it makes connecting with new people a bit difficult. I may come off as uninterested in them. And the sad thing is that maybe they are right. I mean, it is not that my mind is exploding with all kinds of questions I would like to ask but don’t dare or something. More like nothing. This can make me appear unlikeable to some I guess. Some others are into it, and think it is intriguing or mysterious: still waters run deep, along those lines. I will have to disappoint them too, however. People have been intrigued by me in the past and when I am having my quiet moments think I am thinking of something ‘deep’. I kind of enjoy maintaining this illusion. But it is an illusion, for if they ask me for my thoughts, I will have to admit that there were none…

3 Likes

I have been told I am very likeable and pleasant to talk to; however, in my past my ‘frenemies’ have been very spiteful and competitive. This leaves me gun-shy. Lot’s of pain in my history. I have one good friend that I truly believe loves me. I also have my near-adult children that love me. I don’t reach out a lot for friendships and I am not interested in dating. I live with my 75 year old father in a teeny house. I have nowhere to entertain anyone anyway. I am not religious so I don’t go to Church. I thought about going to the Universal (any or no religion) Church down the street for a little bit of a social life. I may still do that. I am doing OK on my own though. I am used to being alone.

2 Likes

@loveaguilarg nicely put, I wouldn’t express it better… especially since the person I know stated “you are kind of a loner aren’t you” and I am not, I love being around people… :disappointed:

@47average I am sorry to here your story… have a look wherever you live if there are some social groups meetings on a neutral grounds. For instance where I live there is a cafeteria which holds on regular basis some social gatherings, even on Sunday it is especially for people who don’t attend a church but still lack this sense of a community… (it doesn’t mean I have been there yet, heh, even if I really would like to, due to my social anxiety. But one day… who knows :blush:) I found it on Fb… good luck

1 Like

I assume real-life people don’t like me. it makes things simpler and safer; as I can keep quiet, stay away, and mind my business. my MI makes me over-think in social situations. stressful.

I get bullied much.

1 Like

It depends on whom. I don’t think my mom and my friends dislike me. Actually we get on well. Even though I’m not adorable anymore, I still find love. If I meet someone who is exactly like me, I might not pay a lot of attention to him or her. I tend to be quiet and don’t attract attention.

2 Likes

even when I stay away, people attack me.

so I stay home.

I always have to put forth effort into maintaining relationships. it seems like if I would stop making an effort then they would just forget about me and move on. i don’t have a fan club or what i mean by that is i’m not the center of attention. no one ever reaches out to me to do stuff. maybe i’m just not a very interesting person.

4 Likes

I always have to put forth effort into maintaining relationships. it seems like if I would stop making an effort then they would just forget about me and move on

You’re absolutely right. This is the way I feel too. Well said.

1 Like

Please tell me this is a typo.
:poop::zap::woman_facepalming:

I don’t think I’m unlikable… Maybe less approachable and highly unrealatable… But meh…

1 Like

My depression makes me unlikeable. People don’t like to be around negative people. I think it depends on each individual’s attitude.

1 Like

EEEEEEEk. what the heck are those emoticons doing there?

My iPhone emoticons DO NOT match my iMac’s!
Sorry @77nick77

■■■■ lightning! OMG woman! LOL!

Of course it was a typo. It was actually tea.

The fact I cannot tell people that I have SZ means that they just think that things that may or may not be the illness is all me. They will think that when I give them the death stare, I am hating them. Or when I get easily stressed that I am an angry person. People just think I am quiet and don’t talk much or smile. That’s all me but I think you get to a point where you realise that can you actually call it an illness at all when your brain will not change and this is who you really are?

That’s the definition isn’t it? For normal functioning I mean. I think for us having SZ is normal as it won’t go away, so really those things people observe of you are not going anywhere and are never going to change.

No one really understands who doesn’t experience it or isn’t a mental health worker. My Aunt the other day said that I am basically the same as my cousin who has depression. Another Aunt said to me when I was diagnosed ah it’s like ADHD.

Not even my ■■■■■■■ family have a clue.

2 Likes