Do you think our Doctors look down on us?

Like, the psychiatrist, or the GP? They are so accomplished, intelligent, affluent, on another level really. Do you think they would look down on a person on disability pension with schizophrenia, depression, social anxiety. Are we a lower class/breed of person?

I think that they, if anyone, understand that we’re not.

They’ve spent most of their years learning about people like us, talking to people like us, and being taught to understand and treat people like us. I think they maybe feel bad for us, but I definitely don’t think they look down on us.

I avoid making generalizations. Some docs might be condescending, but a lot of them are really compassionate.

How are you feeling today Diana?
Hope you will get over your work-related angst. You could start doing something for some cash from the comfort of your own home, the internet is full of opportunities…

I have a CPN i just get that vibe that she does… she simply doesn’t understand… i don’t want to claim these benefits and i wouldn’t but i can’t rely on my parents all the time…

she is patronising… said ive been out of work too long… very long… (its been 5 months). and one time i asked her to ask pdoc for medical certificate and she is like don’t you always get it from your gp… she asked where i got it from all these months… but i haven’t even been claiming… i don’t want to claim… i want to be well so i can work again… but i had to give in right now… can get more help and support to get into work when i claim…

1 Like

@Diana_Ross7 Medical Doctorates, psychiatrists, general practitioners and surgeons are taught to care for their patients in medical school because the patient could be an elderly cancer patient, a wealthy philanthropist or even a 12 year-old child.

I’m okay. Muddling along…

I had a couple early on that were dismissive of my potential for recovery so I traded them in for more advanced models.

2 Likes

My doctor respects me but at the end of the day thinks he’s smarter then everybody. Even the other doctors in the office. He actually probably thinks I’m pretty keen and a survivor of serious mental illness. So he probably thinks higher of me than the social workers in his office :joy: He thinks high of me but he’s kind of in his own world. He’s a great pdoc and he thinks highly of me but not as highly as himself. He’s my height 5’6 or so and once told me that he never listens to tall peoples opinions. He has no respect for tall people. So he probably respects me being short. I don’t believe in napoleons complex, it’s made up and misguided and doesn’t even make sense to say “a tall person can strive to rule the planet, but if a short person strives for anything, they have a complex”, that’s not realistic, but he’s the closest to having a complex about his height I’ve met.

1 Like

No I do not care much about it too. If someone looks down on another is only a reflection of themselves.

2 Likes

Only one of the GPs i’ve had seemed to look down on me. Most have been very empathic.

I think they do it, as everybody does.

No, I don’t think doctors look down on us at all. They are professionals who see us objectively, and each doctor has taken the Hippocratic Oath. That also means they detach themselves emotionally from their patients. GPs are a service industry so you may have to find one who you feel listens to you. Before a patient goes inside a room for a consultation each doctor has an overview of current medication and medical history. They are uninterested in patient’s living conditions unless it is having an adverse effect on their health i.e. homelessness. Rest assured, doctors are more concerned with biology than a patient’s social status.

Doctors are Human too.
Some are self centered and some have big egos.
Not all doctors look down at us but I’ve met some doctors that were real assholes.

4 Likes

I second that !

2 Likes

I agree with you @Wave. I was a medical student for 5 years and met many â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  doctors. The good ones invariably displayed some healthy humility

1 Like

I think that medical and psychiatric professionals do look down on schizophrenics. We are the bottom of the barrel, the worst of the worst, the sickest of the sick. There is little if no hope for us. They definitely look down on us and probably feel sorry for us too.

1 Like

I think some GPs look at our dx before we come in and have already made up their mind that all our problems are psychosomatic before we speak.

I’d say they should stick to their field of expertise if they are professional and not judge us if they have not studied psychiatry.

I was with my previous psychiatrist for 7 years. On my last visit to her…because I have relocated…she told me that it was a great honour for her to treat me. That made me feel so special.

1 Like

I’ve had doctors treat me like a drug-seeker straight out the gate without knowing anything about me. I told one doctor I have anxiety, and the first words out of her mouth were, “I don’t prescribe benzos.” Instantly pissed off.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple of doctors in the ER accuse me of engaging in illicit drug use.
This really pissed me off too.