Do you tell people you have sz?

It’s best not to mention it at all so they can form a better opinion of you without practically burying yourself under your own dirt first. I just feel the need for others to know me better, but it always backfired I think. I just know that we loose a level of trust by disclosing what is not easily understood even by us. I feel like I’m walking around with a bunch of yellow caution tape wrapped around me when ever we encounter again and then I feel like I have to go through the trouble of reassuring them that I’m not a danger to them.

Over the last year I have thought ■■■■ it just tell them the truth. I am learning not to give a ■■■■ about what people think.

Friends/family - yes, I am very open with them, but that is because they know me. They have also followed my story, they all know what I have been through, they have (but one) been incredibly supportive.

Colleagues - I do not feel it is appropriate to tell colleagues. If I had any other serious illness I wouldn’t tell them about it. I did tell one person because they opened up to me about their illness, but actually I don’t think they really “got it”. Most people don’t really know or understand this illness.

Boss/HR - I had to be open with them. Again, they didn’t “get it”, but they understood it was serious due to the fact I was hospitalised twice. I didn’t see the point in listing any symptoms.

Strangers - Only if they ask. Actually one person, a guy in a shop, was deeply sympathetic. One person in church understood as her brother was experiencing the same thing. Another guy at my gym, a Muslim, said his belief was that it’s caused by possession.

I find it interesting to see people’s perceptions of it… I try to inform people, correct them if necessary, I feel it’s my duty to change incorrect perceptions. But obviously I would not tell someone if it will put me at a disadvantage.