Do you look at people's profiles on here?

It’s working i’ve entered from my phone(not logged in) and it shows no detail about user haha thanks Admin

2 Likes

I went through another browser where I am not logged in :smiley: and when I clicked on your profile, the link was not functional.

3 Likes

I hope of the same for mine.

1 Like

Thank you @SzAdmin. It works! :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re logged off of the site, clicking on the users avatar now does nothing (as in it no longer takes you to the user profile). Also, the Users link in the upper right menu for the forum is not there unless you’re logged on.

6 Likes

I did a Google search and I could find easily all my posts!!! :slightly_frowning_face::hushed: I wasn’t aware of that. :open_mouth:

I personally think that the posts shouldn’t be in the Google search results. What is the purpose of that?

People who don’t know the forum can easily find it anyway just by typing “schizophrenia forum” on Google. And then they can do a search in the forum just by using the forum search feature. So why the posts in Google?! I really don’t understand and see the necessity of it.

Don’t you think that people who have mental illness need some privacy?! Do you think we all want our private informations that are in our posts to be public on Google?!

I’m so much not comfortable with that that I’m considering totally stoping posting on the forum. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Most people find the forum by searching on something other than “schizophrenia forum” - its usually something like a medication, or symptom, etc - and then they find these great conversations here on the forum (which are all anonymous remember) with people talking about their experiences with a given medication, or how they resolved a given symptom, etc.

This is why we allow google to index the forums - so we can help more people get the information that helps them.

There are billions of people using the internet - so its impossible for anyone to know who you are when they read a given post.

Please don’t let any paranoid thoughts get the best of you.

3 Likes

Yes @anubis even in my country the mental health forum is visible if i type in google to search for some threads, i guess everywhere is the same on forums plus the SzAdmin is right

1 Like

SzAdmin:
Please don’t let any paranoid thoughts get the best of you.

Wow! By the way, I have never been diagnosed as having paranoid thoughts if you want to know. I have never been diagnosed as being paranoid. My psychiatrist say that I’m not paranoid at all and that I’m totally rational.

It is true that we are anonymous. But it is also true that I have been talking a lot about myself in my posts. What if someone I know in real life find my posts on Google and can guess who I am because of what I said?

1 Like

Your friends cannot possibly know what you have post here, trust me! If they are sane(not ill) and i believe so, they cant type like “wow i feel so depressed today” and find you on Google, does that make sense to you???

1 Like

I don’t even know how to find the number of hits.

Rarely. Mostly if someone gives me a “like” on a thread and I don’t recognize them I will sometimes just click on their avatar to see the date they joined the forums. I’m just curious.But I rarely go further than that.

1 Like

@anubis I really don’t think you need to worry about this. The sheer volume of stuff that comes up on a Google search would make it akin to finding a needle in a haystack so-to-speak. That and the fact that posts are anonymous on this forum would make it virtually impossible for someone to figure out who an anonymous poster is in real life.

To set your mind at ease, if you are concerned about the content of a specific post of yours, you can always flag It and request that the moderators remove it.

For example, the Mods sometimes get requests from forum members to remove a post with a personal photo.

3 Likes

I look at people’s profiles on schizophrenia.com. I assume that is why it’s available.

Maybe you are right. I don’t know. I know that the possibility that someone I know in the real life find my posts are really small. Still I’m not sure it is necessary for the posts to be on Google search results.

But I think that SzAdmin shouldn’t have used my mental illness to try to convince me, by presuming that my questions and my opinion was caused by possible paranoid thoughts.:open_mouth: I was really surprised and uncomfortable with that. Does he think that we are all paranoid, that we all can’t think rationally?!

2 Likes

@anubis You make a fair point.

1 Like

Sometimes they have a little extra backstory in there profile. Also I noticed that other people get way more likes than me too. Sometimes I look at a profile to see how many times people have looked at the profile.

I think that’s why they tell you not to post identifying information or anything like that. One of the reasons why I don’t post a picture is because I don’t have disability and still want to get a job.

I sometimes check a profile simply to get a better understanding of a member.

1 Like

I hear what you say @szadmin but those who use the same username say somewhere else they can easily be traced. I like the idea but obviously it’s what you say

2 Likes

There is nothing anonymous on the internet.
Just be careful about posting anything you wouldn’t put up on a billboard on the side of the road.
Create a separate and distinct persona and stick with it.

2 Likes