Do you ever feel like your meds have somehow changed you permanently, either your brain chemistry or personality?

Alright, just a little bit of a brief history about myself and my illness. I had never really experienced anything you could describe as psychosis until I was 23 years old. At that time I had just gone through the worst break-up of my life; I was horribly depressed, only left the house to go get fast food, and just sat around at home smoking marijuana, eating, and watching TV all day. I was living in a tiny, cramped two bedroom apartment with three other roommates. It was at this time I started feeling intense paranoia about the sounds all around me; it began with thinking I could hear my roommates muttering about me, then advanced to thinking I could hear the neighbors complain about every little noise I made, every footstep, every time I rolled over in bed, etc. I chalked this up to paranoia caused by the marijuana.

It wasn’t until I did a small amount of methamphetamine that my first real “psychotic break” occurred. I had used methamphetamine in my teen years fairly frequently, but I had been clean from it for years at this point. I know it wasn’t simply amphetamine psychosis or sleep deprivation because it began immediately after ingesting it, and it was a relatively small amount. Anyway, ended up in the psych hospital and eventually got a diagnosis of “bipolar type I with mania and psychosis” or schizoaffective disorder.

Okay, onto my question about medication. The very first medication I was put on was Risperdal, which was VERY intense for me as far as side effects go. It was very effective at preventing the symptoms, but at first I slept all day, every day, and ate like a pig. When I started to get used to the side effects enough to go to work, I found that I was constantly agitated, anxious, while at the same time just felt this weird “non-feeling,” like the world was just a vast expanse of grey, and everything was meaningless. Nothing was fun, I didn’t look forward to anything, and I had absolutely no motivation to do anything. It got so bad that I began having suicidal thoughts, and even made a suicide attempt.

After getting out of the hospital for the suicide attempt, the doctor put me on Abilify. On Abilify, the side effects aren’t so bad, and I started to feel a little better; I began to enjoy old hobbies again (somewhat) and my social life picked back up a bit. However, it wasn’t completely effective at blocking symptoms of psychosis. I still heard faint voices from time to time, but it wasn’t so bad that I couldn’t deal with it.

The main thing that tipped me off that something was different with my brain, however, is the fact that around the time I started Abilify, I also started experimenting with methamphetamine again. However, it was different; I never really got “high,” so to speak. It gave me a little bit of energy and got rid of any remaining feelings of emptiness or “greyness,” but I didn’t get euphoria and the high that most meth users seek and that I knew from past experiences. I also didn’t get the side effects of meth; I didn’t grind my teeth, my pupils didn’t dilate, and I didn’t lose my appetite or suffer from insomnia. I basically went about my life completely normally, just feeling a mild boost in energy and positive attitude.

Then I eventually decided to taper off of Abilify. I know it has an extremely long half-life, but I haven’t taken any Abilify (or any other medication) whatsoever for the past 3 or 4 months, and I still don’t get high when I use methamphetamine on occasion. Also, when I don’t use meth, that “grey” empty feeling starts to creep back in a little bit (but not as bad as it was on the Risperdal).

Does anyone know why this might be? Is it really possible that Abilify has somehow permanently altered my brain chemistry, like in my dopamine receptors or something? Has anyone who felt like their antipsychotic made them a “different” person stopped taking the drug and gone back to normal? Or do you still feel the same as you did when you were on the meds?

Thanks for any input.

Hi
I have only read your title
Yes seroxat changed me for the better. I think more positive and anxiety is more manageable. I am more motivated

i would say yes they do change presonalitys in many cases. they are a drug

Is the antipsychotic or any medication be able to creates the mind ?
Is the antipsychotic be able to creates the thoughts of mind ?
Is the antipsychotic or any medication be able to change the personal believes,
religious beliefs and substantive content of the cognitive experiences ?
Is the antipschotic be able to inspire a new knowledge to your mind ?
Is the antipsychotic be able to readjustment your views about your self,
sacrosanct things and the things of the world ?
Is the antipsychotic have self-correcting to the wrong information that you believe in ?

IS THE ANTIPSYCHOTIC A HIGHER ORGANISM until you believe in its ability
to review your thoughts,change them,correct them and readjustment them !!

I believed that in the beginning. I don’t worry about it now either way.

your body might developed whats called tolerance to the effects of meth. it has nothing to do with the antipsychotic drugs. though antipsychotics can counteract the effects of the meth. but you said that you never took meds for the past 3 or 4 months. so its probably tolerance. my advice is quit using drugs especially meths. they are very dangerous and i read that they can cause parkinsons disease. so just stop using them.

Why living with schizophrenia for lifetime without medication,does not causing
any specific brain disease ?
While,living with sz ,and using the medication for lifetime,do not achieve the cure
and causing different brain diseases ?

Because medication helps with the symptoms. For many people.

1 Like

BarbieBF edited: Removed caps (AbAt all caps is usually considered yelling online)

If the medication helps many people with the symptoms
The questions
What the nature of the helps?
What is type of these symptoms?

I was told that when I was a kid I was pretty happy go lucky… very messed up in the head, but for the most part still hyper, friendly, (most likely manic)

My head circus started getting more intense and I started drinking and taking drugs to try and counter the symptoms. Then I got self-centered, and as my paranoia… my constant deep confusion… my hallucinations, sonic hearing, and other head circus tricks started getting worse and worse.

It was this illness and my drug use that turned me into something I wasn’t. I was abusive, angry, cold, self-centered… I was someone I didn’t even like on any level.

As things got worse I used more and things got worse and I used even more because we do build up a tolerance… I ended up homeless. I call that my rabid time.

Long story short… I’m on Latuda/Seroquel combo, clean and sober… and I don’t think my med changed my personality. I think I’m getting back to becoming the person I might have been if I never got seriously ill.

I don’t think my med changed my personality as much as the alcohol, the amphetamines, the XTC, the Pot… that is what I think changed my personality.

Getting all that out of my system helped me get back to myself. My meds help keep the circus away.

1 Like

i heard meds keep psychosis away

1–I use Aspirin when I feel headache “in necessity”

2-I use Aspirin day by day forever without stop.
-although i do not feel headache today,but i take it
to prevent the occurrence of headache -mainly !
-although i do not feel sick today,but i take anti- biotic
day by day forever to prevent the occurrence of the infection !

3–I do not use Aspirin day by day forever

4-I do not use Aspirin or any medication when i feel headache,
because i can overcome the pain of headache without using
external intervention

when we talking about someone has living many years with sz;

what is type of the medical measures ?

because antipsychotics suck thats why.

So many people do that on this forum. They just read the title of the thread then post whatever is on their minds. This place would be much better if people actually read the posts.

So does being hospitalized for a relapse - that’s why I take my meds.

10-96

1 Like

:clap: Can I get an Amen? Thank you in the back.

I don’t LIKE my meds… I don’t wake up and say… “YES! I get to take more meds… :smiley:”

But as much as I don’t like taking meds… I really DON’T like relapse. The better I feel and the stronger I feel… the more I feel I have to loose if I don’t play it straight.

1 Like

I really don’t like my meds. They make me slow. They make me tired. They make me overweight. But they DO let me function much better than I can without them. Just one of those trade-offs you have to learn to make as an adult.

The more pressing issue in our home is the flu/cold that has been dogging everyone these past two weeks. Looking forward to having energy and walking on my treadmill again soon.

10-96

1 Like

I dont know about personality, but like my very smart and capable pdoc said to me - “meds can make things worse sometimes” I mean its a fact that the atypical antipsychotics can cause many different physical problems - weight gain, diabetes, metabolic issues like high lipid counts, thyroid problems - hypothyroidism, high prolactin levels, cardiac problems, liver damage - the list goes on. I really dont know how effective the safer - newer atypicals are.
Abilify kind of did change my personality - it triggered high levels of anxiety and paranoia - making me more agoraphobic