Differences between Rexulti and Abilify

Abilify is off-patent (generic) and will therefore be much more affordable than Rexulti
Since Rexulti is a much newer drug, there could be safety issues that haven’t been identified yet in post-marketing surveillance
Rexulti is more similar to other second-generation (atypical) antipsychotics, which means that it may have a better side effect profile
Rexulti is more potent than Abilify, and therefore lower doses can be used
Rexulti is theoretically a more effective antipsychotic because of its increased activity at dopamine (D2) receptors
Rexulti theoretically has a lower risk of extrapyramidal symptoms and prolactin elevation, because of its enhanced serotonin antagonism
Rexulti has a high affinity for serotonin 5HT1A receptors, where it is a partial agonist, and 5HT2A receptors, where it is an antagonist. Abilify affects the same receptors, but to a lesser extent. This may give Rexulti an advantage over Abilify.
Rexulti is more similar to other second-generation antipsychotics compared with Abilify

2 Likes

Are u switching to rexulti …!!

From Risperdal to Rexulti.
Yes maybe @far_cry0.
My prolactin levels are a bit high now :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Bump … 15 Char

I’m very interested in trying rexulti when it becomes available here. Whether or not I’ll have the courage to change is another matter. But I’m sick of abilify.

1 Like

I’m looking into trying Rexulti or Saphris.
I may even give Abilify another shot now that I’m no longer on Tegretol.
I’m sick of the Risperdal side effects.

1 Like

Why saphris?

15 char.

It’s one of the few APs I haven’t tried yet.
I’ll probably first give Rexulti a shot.
I have to do something fast.
Risperidone is giving me lots of side effects.

1 Like

From what I read they say Rexulti has less d2 activity then abilify, is this true?

I don’t know @revv.

@moderators Zombie Thread

Did you switch from risperdal? How was it ?

I never tried Rexulti.
From what I’ve heard, it’s not effective against mania.