Did this guy who donated $650 million to psychiatric research have a relative who suffered from the condition?

I just read he gave 650 million to schizophrenia research, Why, did someone in his family suffer from it. It was nice of him to do so.

1 Like

Yes - his son Jon Stanley has bipolar disorder (and I think there are other family relations with mental illness also - thus the family interest in eliminating these disorders/finding a cure). Its really good news - this is by far the largest medical research-focused family donation that has been ever done. New treatments and maybe a cure on on the way!

“Stanley’s passion for the cause began decades ago when his son, Jonathan, was stricken with severe bipolar disorder while in college. The first few years were difficult, but Jonathan overcame his illness with the help of lithium, a landmark drug first used to treat patients with mental illness in 1949. Now a successful attorney, Jonathan is also a founding board member of the Treatment Advocacy Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to reforming laws that affect persons with a mental illness, and an advocate for NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Although lithium helped give Jonathan a normal life, other patients who suffer from mental illness have not been as fortunate. Hoping to help these patients, Ted and Vada Stanley went on to found the Stanley Medical Research Institute in 1989, aimed at finding treatments that would be as effective for others as lithium has been for their son.”

Source: http://www.broadinstitute.org/news/5896

2 Likes

there are good people in the world, good on him.
take care

2 Likes

Wow that is a lot of money, I didn’t hear about this. I am not religious - just spiritual, but God bless him, really

2 Likes