Did sz increase your artistic ability

Back in 1998 when I started hearing voices,auditory hallucinations, I started also painting more and writing more creatively, somehow something changed in my mind … a long time has passed …

3 Likes

I write poetry, but it comes and goes. I am schizoaffective, so my artistic endeavors are more cyclical, meaning when I am more on the manic side I write way more, whereas when I am depressed I write a lot less. I haven’t written much of anything for a while now, though.

3 Likes

If u can post some painting…i will happy to see it…

3 Likes

When I was psychotic, I was able to draw a lot. It was like if I have found my drawing style. Anyway, I wasn’t happy.

3 Likes

About a year before my diagnosis I painted and took classes. I was artistic even though I was in psychosis. I quit because of negative symptoms and also paranoia. I thought people were stalking me at the art classes. I thought that people laughed and made jokes about me.

2 Likes

I can draw and paint naturally. If I didn’t have hallucinations, I wouldn’t paint the angels that I see.

I’m glad I don’t just paint landscapes.

11 Likes

I was always artistic. I could always draw and write poetry, even as a kid. When I started taking music lessons at the age of 46, I discovered a talent that I didn’t know I had and that was music composition. I became sza at the age of 23.

3 Likes

I went through a period of depression when I was younger and believed then that it made me very creative, if somewhat morbidly inclined. Lots of poems about blood and knives, all very cliche. Since I got psychotic recently I’ve found the inspiration to paint. I wouldn’t say I’m any good at it, but I still claim some degree of creativity does come from MI

3 Likes

I write poetry and short stories. Recently I wrote about 60 pages in my notebook that seemed brilliant in the moment but the handwriting is so atrocious I can barely read a word if it, and the bits I can read make no sense at all. My writing usually reflects the mood I am in in that moment.

Last night a cacophony of voices dictated a poem to me, that’s never happened before. I just scribbled it down as I heard it.

3 Likes

When i was on seroquel and still littlebit crazy i drew from my imagination few drawings very good , one girl from my job from memory another on street where was the graffiti festival the sick face, but now i couldnot do that , cuz meds stops my crazy thinking, bad that i dont have photos of that drawings , tomorrow i will make photos of my old drawings while i wasnt sz,

3 Likes

Your first painting I feel represents a tranquil moment filled with minute joy. The second seems to be dark secretive but boldly appreciative. Very beautiful paintings I must say

Party on !!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say it increased my artistic ability, but it sure made for a bunch of strange stories to tell the cats.

6 Likes

I see things in a very creative way.

As for artistic, noway

I was always artistic too, but when i had sz real bad i stopped painting after a while. Now i want to start again that im stable.

I find when i am in depression i write more poems, but don’t do painting or sketching so much. and when i am a little manic i can paint better. depends on my mood.

1 Like

I wrote poetry. When illness started, I almost stopped writing poems, but turned to short stories and even wrote a small book about my experience in the mental hospital. Poetry requires more concentration of thought, so I gave it up.

2 Likes

My sz aunt who is dead already wrote a book when she spent her years in many closed facilities, the last time I saw her she said ‘are we going to publish this’, I do not know what happened to her book, maybe my cousin got it, might have been interesting to publish it.

Yea, that would be interesting to read! There’re already more than fifteen books written by people with schizophrenia. That’s how we know we’re not alone. So many others are experiencing the same difficulties and struggling with stigma…

My sz aunt also painted and when I lived in Miami many years ago I visited some art galleries, and there were similar paintings for sale, there was a time in this world when sz paintings were very desirable and people bought this art work.

1 Like

Some things are so funny, back in 2002 when I waited my plane to leave the US I had left the symbol of my religion (on paper) on the windshields of few autos in the front of one club in Miami Beach in one night and on the back of these little papers I had written ‘You are God’, and then some time passed and then I went to one art gallery where I met one young female sale person and I showed a cover page of my notebook that had this symbol, this woman mentioned that her boyfriend had got one paper, it was amusing, she thought that another woman had left this symbol with this message, but it was me, then I was 34 years old. Made me laugh.

1 Like

Yes. I think sz can increase your creativity. I don’t think doing drugs increases your creativity, though there were some drug users that wrote incredibly well, like Edgar Allen Poe and Samuel Taylor Coleridge. When I read them I can really see the influence of opium in their work, but I think they would have written just as well if they didn’t do opium. They would have written differently, but they would have written just as well. There were times when I read these guys works that I wondered if I did opiates I could write like them, but when I read about their withdrawal symptoms - living a hundred years in a single night, and long, wet kisses from crocodiles - I think it wouldn’t have been worth it. Back during the acid wave a lot of people thought you could gain insight and creativity from doing acid. Ken Kesey wrote two very good novels while doing acid, but if he hadn’t done acid he might have written twenty very good novels.