Delusions and fantasy world =defense mechanism against some sort of trauma we faced?

Like, in shutter island he says “rather be a good man than thought of as a monster”. And the doctor said at one point “you have great defense mechanisms”. He killed his wife and kids because of war driving him crazy and then he makes up an elaborate story in his head to cope with it.

I had trauma at young age and entered a fantasy world not long after. Elaborate story in my head.

Then I didn’t wanna believe I was sz so I made up other scenarios.

Then I didn’t wanna believe I was a failure so I said I was the messiah.

Are these simply defense mechanisms we use to cope with failure, trauma, things we don’t wanna face.

Is that your interpretation of the movie??
In my opinion it was his wife who killed the children, because she was having some mental issues of her own. Then when he finds the kids dead in the water, he kills the wife to avoid her coming to her senses and realizing what she had done… Then he goes insane himself.

1 Like

Oh no not my interpretation just my bad memory!! Haven’t seen the movie since 2011

1 Like

It’s ok, the movie was pretty convoluted too. I should watch it again sometime…

1 Like

I’ve been known to make up elaborate fantasy worlds to avoid the truth from time to time. Darn truth keeps rearing it’s ugly head causing much turmoil. Maybe that’s the root of some of our problems. We just have to face the truth. I’m sorry you had trauma. People can be such assh**es.

1 Like

The first time I heard I had sz I did not know what it was. I started googling and research. I had no other way but to accept I had paranoid sz the more insight I gained.

I also had a god delusion but I rather say it was because things go wrong in the brain because of chemicals in the brain.

1 Like