Delusional disorder and Sz

Are the treatment meds for these two similar?
I have the understanding that both disorders are treated with similar antipsycotics. True?

Both are psychosis.

Delusional disorder treatment often involves atypical (also called novel or newer-generation ) antipsychotic medications, which can be effective in some patients. Risperidone (Risperdal), quetiapine (Seroquel), and olanzapine (Zyprexa) are all examples of atypical or novel antipsychotic medications. If agitation occurs, a number of different antipsychotics can be used to conclude the outbreak of acute agitation. Agitation, a state of frantic activity experienced concurrently with anger or exaggerated fearfulness, increases the risk that the client will endanger self or others. To decrease anxiety and slow behavior in emergency situations where agitation is a factor, an injection of haloperidol (Haldol) is often given usually in combination with other medications (often lorazepam , also known as Ativan). Agitation in delusional disorder is a typical response to severe or harsh confrontation when dealing with the existence of the delusions. It can also be a result of blocking the individual from performing inappropriate actions the client views as urgent in light of the delusional reality. A novel antipsychotic is generally given orally on a daily basis for ongoing treatment meant for long-term effect on the symptoms. Response to antipsychotics in delusional disorder seems to follow the “rule of thirds,” in which about one-third of patients respond somewhat positively, one-third show little change, and one-third worsen or are unable to comply.

Cognitive therapy has shown promise as an emerging treatment for delusions. The cognitive therapist tries to capitalize on any doubt the individual has about the delusions; then attempts to develop a joint effort with the sufferer to generate alternative explanations, assisting the client in checking the evidence. This examination proceeds in favor of the various explanations. Much of the work is done by use of empathy, asking hypothetical questions in a form of therapeutic Socratic dialogue—a process that follows a basic question and answer format, figuring out what is known and unknown before reaching a logical conclusion. Combining pharmacotherapy with cognitive therapy integrates both treating the possible underlying biological problems and decreasing the symptoms with psychotherapy.

Read more: http://www.minddisorders.com/Br-Del/Delusional-disorder.html#ixzz3jlvD2AHi

1 Like

I always suffered more from delusions than hallucinations. One time I thought people were trying to get me to kill myself. I bought a gun for self defense. (I wasn’t going to open up with it in a crowd or anything like that. My reasoning was that when they saw I wasn’t going to kill myself they would send someone after me.) One time I became convinced that a certain congressman who shall remain nameless pushed through a billion dollar drug shipment for the mafia. I posted that information on a web site with twenty-five-thousand people. I thought it was the truth.

Me too …