Deciding Whether to Disclose Mental Disorders at Work

Never having worked this issue has never occurred with me, but I wonder what the experience of those that have been employed has been.

I was originally hired out of a vocational / rehab program so the city knew that I had problems right form the start. The city hired three of us.

I think it sort of helped me that people knew that I was hired out from that programā€¦ I ended up getting placed with people who had more of a mentoring way of being in charge.

I didnā€™t blab what my exact diagnosis was until I ended up where I am now. I had gotten to know my boss pretty well and I did trust him so I did mention it.

He has by far still had the best reaction Iā€™ve ever come across when telling someone.

I told him I had schizophrenia and he saidā€¦ ā€œI donā€™t really know what that means.ā€ He was open to a brief conversation.

No questions about ā€œis it like in the movies?ā€

I can totally understand how this would be used against someone and could really mess up a job opportunity.

But I think since people knew where I was starting fromā€¦ That this was sort of my second chanceā€¦ it worked out of me.

Itā€™s sort of like schoolā€¦ I was tempted not to disclose anything about myself at schoolā€¦ It was 77nick77 who told me to go to the students with disabilities office and get all the help they can offerā€¦ I did.

I think that is why Iā€™m keeping up nowā€¦ because I had all that help getting used to school.

1 Like

it sounds a bit like when iā€™m at college and i disclosed my mental illness in the group session (without actually saying the dreaded ā€˜szā€™ word) lol bc that might freak them out a bit and they might act differently around you and i hate getting preferential treatment lol i just want to be the same i guess

People can be pretty biased. On the other hand, in some places employers get a tax break for hiring the disabled.

Iā€™ve kept my MI secret until I couldnā€™t work anymore and had to file for disability. My boss wasnā€™t happy with me leaving and he told me how I should get a second opinion and how the meds f%$# me up. He told me about an uncle of his who had a MI and how he outlived all of his family. My HR dept. at work was very helpful to assist me to get my disability claim filed. I have basically no contact with my old work colleagues because of my fear of the stigma of sz. Stigma is a real thing in my country and most people look down on people with MI and people who have been in psych hospital or mental hospital. If I was ever able to work again I will definitely NOT disclose my MI.

Beyond just admitting to having a mental illness that I was taking medication for, at one job I mentioned one of the delusions I had and unfortunately my boss decided it would be appropriate to bother me about it on a regular basis after that. I quit that job.

I worked with the same employer for decades - at different positions. I told the Human Resources Dept. about my mental illness, because I needed certain accommodations at work - I think I mentioned bipolar to the director, but I am sure that I told them about my anxiety and agoraphobia.

I wrote down my mental illness on the medical emergency form at work - I told them about bipolar disorder and anxiety etcā€¦ I also made the big mistake of letting a co worker know I have bipolar disorder - soon most people at work were treating me like I was intellectually slow.

Unless someone with a mental illness needs certain accommodations - I would be very careful telling people at work that you suffer from a mental illness. I would NOT tell any coworkers about it - distortions, lies and gossip sometimes soon follows the disclosure

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never told employers

I did tell one employee that told me he was bipolar and was thinking of jumping in front of a bus. So I shared my own journey with him to help him

People are idiots! (A brief description of humanity in under 20 characters.)

3 Likes

People can tell just by looking at me that iā€™m not normal. :eyes:

1 Like

I have a strong feeling that people can tell I have something off with me - itā€™s probably my anxious stand offish- behavior- I donā€™t open up too easily with strangers especially

My symptoms get bad in a job setting and it becomes obvious that thereā€™s something wrong. I donā€™t think I have to say anything.

I vote no. Under no circumstances should the colleges boss or hr know because it will have a very negative impact in future. Pretend that every thing is all right and thatā€™s it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t tell ANYONE. Period. Except here, where we are all in the same boat. Or MAYBE a friend who I know is schizophrenic too .My resolve to keep it too myself was strengthened last night when I was talking to my step-mom and she told me that no one can tell Iā€™m schizophrenic. She said, " Youā€™re just a little quiet". And Iā€™ve known her for thirty years. I trust her opinion. She is one of the people I can talk to and not clam up.
I believe that you guys who tell people your diagnosis are a lot braver than me.

3 Likes

people probably can tell i have something going on, cuz one day i can be very talkative and other day i can be very silent. but its just how I am, I actually enjoy silence and not talking and still be around good company
I could listen to music with someone for hours without saying a word, I just let the music speak lol

3 Likes

Same hereā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s really nice that your relax and enjoy yourself

1 Like

You canā€™t explain Calculus, when one knows not of Algebra.

3 Likes

i look normal, black clothes, black cloak, red and black skin, horns on my head, two lightsabersā€¦no one noticed at workā€¦so why tell anyone !?!
take care

3 Likes

I agree, I usually say little, less chance of rejection.
But as mentioned, i listen a lot. I like to study normals to figure out what makes them tick. Then I can blend in with them easier.

1 Like