Data Reterntion Period for Forum

I’m concerned he’ll trigger someone else to self-harm or suicide. You can’t save everyone, but you can prevent them from hurting another.

We’re detracting from the point.

Back when I was moderating on my own I had to do a lot of cleanup in that forum. Specifically, new users, people who were floridly ill would find the forum and dig out the posts that were obviously triggering them. Pans is a real magnet for them. It’s a real problem. At the very least, posts in that forum should lock after a week of inactivity.

1 Like

I would leave management of the forum software, forum data, etc up to @SzAdmin. I assume the forum system administrators can figure this out in consultation with the Discourse developers.

As they say, “Too many chefs in the kitchen…”

1 Like

These forums in their current iteration (with the current software) have only been going for about 2.5 years - so its not an issue right now. Generally we like to keep things up so that people find what they are looking for - whatever it is, related to topics here.

4 Likes

It’s food poisoning I’m worried about.

Ha! The solution is to eat large quantities of Pixel’s Home-Made Fermented Sauerkraut.

1 Like

Hey, it’s all about the gut bacteria! I was actually using probiotics for diverticular disease – accidentally discovering that they help with negative symptoms was a pleasant surprise.

:blush:

2 Likes

Wonderdunk, is that you? :hushed:

1 Like

Now you’re just being mean.

Look, science! So sciencey!

1 Like

I was actually kinda serious. Wonderdunk used to post about “gut flora imbalance”

1 Like

True. The thing is that I’m using natural remedies to leverage my prescribed meds and to lessen my reliance upon them as much as possible. I’m also doing this under medical supervision (I took a jar of homebrew to the two additional psychiatrists who are studying me and they had it tested and confirmed its probiotic qualities).

1 Like

I’m impressed that they tested it. My docs are all for probiotics, but they’re like, just eat yogurt or whatever.

Have you ever tried making home-made Kimchi? It’s basically fermented cabbage. It doesn’t smell very good but it tastes pretty good.

Hey @SzAdmin: Is it possible to at least get Unusual Beliefs to close stuff after a week of disuse? The main people digging up old threads there are the brand new members looking for a very unhealthy “shared reality” and they’re just winding themselves up and not helping anyone with their, “yes, I hear these same things you do, let’s discuss this alien/demon in detail” posts.

1 Like

I fully support the idea of closing unusual beliefs threads after a week of inactivity.

1 Like

I oppose the deletion of old posts as they contain valuable information.
An exception may be the unusual belief section,
but I oppose any exceptions.

I oppose deletion of all posts unless the user requests their posts be so.

2 Likes

I think Pixels proposal is to lock the thread one week after the last post. The locked thread would still be visible (not deleted) but will no longer be open for new posts.

Something along these lines was done in the past for Lounge threads where the threads autoclosed (locked) after a specified period of inactivity. This autoclose feature has since been discontinued.

2 Likes

Never let reading comprehension get in the way of a good rant.