D-amphetamine for negative symptoms

Have someone used D-amphetamine for negative symptoms?

Based on evidence that negative schizophrenia is associated with reduced dopaminergic and increased cholinergic activity, several investigators have initiated therapeutic trials with dopaminergic and anticholinergic drugs in negative schizophrenia. Dopaminergic agonists such as amphetamine and L-dopa, which alleviate symptoms of parkinsonism, have been reported to improve some negative features of schizophrenia (Angrist, Rotrosen, & Gershon, 1980; Alpert & Rush, 1983; Friedhoff, 1983; Desau et al., 1984; Kay & Opler, 1985). Angrist et al. (1980) observed that neuroleptic-free patients with predominant negative symptomatology who were treated with a single dose of d-amphetamine (0.5mg/Kg) showed significant reduction of negative symptoms three hours after its administration. This effect was not obtained in schizophrenic patients with predominant positive symptoms. SImilarly, prolonged treatment with L-dopa has been reported to be effective in improving blunted affect, emotional withdrawal, and apathy in patients with prominent negative symptoms (Alpert & Rush, 1983; Friedhoff, 1983) and in ameliorating the negative but not the positive syndrome scale of the PANSS (Kay & Opler, 1985). Desai et al. (1984) reported two patients in whom oral d-amphetamine produced long-term improvement of negative symptoms (alogia, affective flattening, anhedonia).

Source

1 Like

If you live in the States, you might want to try Lisdexamfetamine. They conducted a phase 2 study in which this substance produced an improvement in negative symptoms.

About L-Dopa… all I can say is that I asked Robert W. Buchanan, a prominent psychiatrist, about the potential use of this substance against negative symptoms, and he was skeptical. He told me that the brain builds tolerance quickly to it, and in addition it can trigger a psychotic episode…

5 Likes

Here is the study, I guess…

1 Like

ummmm > yea right i was on that right when i started having mad Hallucination’s

1 Like

Bad stuff. idc what anyone else has to say. idc if they give you medical. I Override that system. it was my business

I was TRIPPING hard when on that. Except i had been on it since fourth grade…

1 Like

I asked my psychiatrist if I could add a stimulant to my current cocktail.
She said that even a drug like Provigil would make me Psychotic very quickly.
I don’t think that adding an Amphetamine is a good idea @brugluiz.

1 Like

um yeah… I was on adderall for a while and it made me insane. I thought I was hyper functional but I was insane.

4 Likes

Once I was on Ritalin and it made nothing for me. I had no dellusions because of that as well (no psychotic symptoms). I’ll ask my pdoc about amphetamines anyway. It seems that LDX have some positive results for negative symptoms.

1 Like

So apparently it’s against forum rules to even push people to ask or collaborate with their doctors about the judiciuos use of stimulants and take responsibility for their care. My post was flagged as abuse in a different thread becayuse I told someone to talk to their doctor about a stimulant. Unbelievable.

I hope I’m not violating any rules with this post, but I’m currently taking Concerta (108 mg/d) and Ritalin (10 mg/d) as prescribed by my psychiatrist and I’ve improved considerably with respect to negative symptoms. I’ve been on it for several years without issues. Before that, I was taking Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg/d). I found it to be equally as effective as the Concerta against my negative symptoms.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience. Seems that amphetamines need to be used with caution.

1 Like

Haha @brugluiz that’s interesting!!!
This d-amphetamine seems to improve both mental and physical performance, and I wouldn’t resist such an improvement!
I may try this thanks for posting!

2 Likes

Keep us updated erez.i…take care.

Now HERE is what we are looking for.
D-amphetamine, as an adjunctive to antipsychotics, improves cognition in schizophrenia

2 Likes

I have tried Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) to treat negative symptoms, mainly for anhedonia and amotivation. I was on 40 mg for 4 months thinking that it was helping a little bit, but one day I decided to try a higher dosage (60mg) and felt a huge difference in the effects, so much so that I realized that 40mg wasn’t doing anything at all and that I was probably having a small placebo effect while on 40mg. The day that I tried 60mg, I felt a SOLID improvement of my symptoms: I felt “normal” for the first time in a year (ever since I got sick). By “normal” I mean: for 5 hours, it felt good to accomplish chores, it felt good to walk outside, discuss with my girlfriend, play video games, listen to music, etc. After the 5 hours past, the “high”/“effect” completely disappeared, and I was back to my anhedonic, amotivated self, which was really depressing. The following day, I decided to try 50mg in order to find the lowest effective dosage. Unfortunately, this time the “high”/“effect” only lasted for about 15 minutes. I concluded that I must have developed a tolerance to Vyvanse, in only one day. The Vyvanse “high” felt too good to be true/to last… And I’d rather not feel good at all than feel good for 5 hours and have that feeling of normalcy taken away afterwards. If there was no tolerance, and the effects lasted 12 hours per day, my opinion would be different.

@brugluiz @Andrey @far_cry0

3 Likes

This is the thread I was looking for. So what about cogentin? Does it help with negative symptoms like motivation? It decreases acetylcholine and barely increases dopamine. I can’t learn “complicated” stuff on it. Doubt the doc would put me on a stimulant. Probably end up crazy. I’m already struggling with delusions.

I’m not trying anything with amphetamine in the name of it, stimulants can cause psychosis in people without it so why would someone with it try it, what i have noticed about stimulants is that when i smoked the more expensive stimulating sativa strains of weed it makes my symptoms much worse but the really cheap indica strains of weed seem to make me feel normal and i can function maybe because more cbd in them and more relaxing instead of energizing but also caffeine makes me twitch and unable to sleep and just feel completely weird not psychotic tho,
stimulants may make negative symptoms better in the way that u will have a â– â– â– â–  ton of energy and need something to do and probably be motivated but with making negative symptoms better like that u risk making positive symptoms worse

I’ve heard that Wellbutrin can help without the addiction potential.
I have it prescribed, but I haven’t taken it yet.

I second Wellbutrin, it had a very motivating effect on me, but be careful with it if you’re prone to mania because it has the potential to push you there.

1 Like

I’m more worried about any heart/cardiac side effects, since I have Mitral Valve Prolapse and my heart can beat unevenly on stimulant type medications.

Caffeine doesn’t cause anything weird to happen to my heart.

Adderall and Dexedrine always messed with my heart rhythms. (I was once diagnosed with ADHD and tried those meds)

This is essentially how I feel about the matter. It’s just not worth it.

2 Likes