Curcumin hype vs reality

A recent systematic review of the alleged health benefits of curcumin show that, yet again, hype based on “traditional use” is not a reliable guide.

Curcumin is a spice that makes up about 5% of turmeric, a yellow spice used in many curries. It is also a traditional herbal treatment. The health claims made for curcumin are numerous – WebMD has this entry:

Other preliminary lab studies suggest that curcumin or turmeric might protect against types of skin diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, colitis, stomach ulcers, and high cholesterol. Based on lab studies, turmeric and curcumin might also help treat upset stomach, scabies, diabetes, HIV, uveitis, and viral infections.

The systematic review had two main findings:

No double-blinded, placebo controlled clinical trial of curcumin has been successful. This manuscript reviews the essential medicinal chemistry of curcumin and provides evidence that curcumin is an unstable, reactive, nonbioavailable compound and, therefore, a highly improbable lead.

Let’s take the second point first, bioavailability. In order for a drug to be useful when taken orally it has to have adequate bioavailability. This means it needs to be relatively stable, it has to be absorbed in adequate amounts through the GI tract, and then it has to survive a first pass through the liver and be distributed in the body in such a way that it gets to its target tissue is sufficient concentration to have a clinical effect.

Any one of the steps could be a fatal flaw for a potential drug or compound. Most substances do not have all the properties necessary to be an effective treatment. Pharmaceutical companies spend a lot of time and resources studying the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drug candidates, and often tweaking them in an attempt to give them the properties they would need to be an effective treatment.

Most herbs do not have these properties. They therefore fail as a therapeutic agent out of the gate. The authors of this review found that studies of curcumin show it does not have the overall bioavailability to be an effective treatment for anything.

Why, then, are there literally thousands of studies with curcumin or turmeric? It is because there is apparently a different set of rules for studying substances that have a traditional use and that are already being hyped to the public as having health benefits.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/curcumin-hype-vs-reality/

1 Like

Dunno. This pubmed article seems to contradict that.

1 Like

Being unable to absorb and use the curcumin in an adequate manner…its bioavailability…doesn’t that pretty much kill off any arguments…I’m sure it has some bioavailability but if its so low their labeling it useless…wouldn’t you have to take it i. stupid amounts to even get enough to see what effects it has?

I like cucumbers :blush:

1 Like

And then a kinda off topic 2 part question…does the bioavailability include being able pass the blood brain barrier…and does the blood brain barrier passage also have a percentage measurement? Example I take 1000mg of medx…its bioavailability is 50%…so my body is absorbing roughly 500mg into my blood to be distributed and utilized where its supposed to…can only so much of that pass the blood Brain barrier…?

I would love to do some research later but I believe BIOava is separate from whether or not a drug gets pass the BBB. There are a lot of drugs on the market that work yet do not pass the BBB. I think only drugs that have some psychological effect pass through the BBB. I could be wrong though and I most likely am. But there are forms of Curcumin that are more readily absorbed. TheraCumin as well as taking curcumin and or tumeric with black pepper.

Yea I figured they may be something that allows it to absorb better…example my gaba doesn’t cross the BBB it just builds up in the blood and tricks the brain into thinking it needs to produce it…but phenibut apparently allows the gaba to actual pass the BBB and makes the gaba work better…and more consistently…just don’t trust phenibut much…