Clozapine and weight loss

Hi,

Is there anyone here who has managed to lose weight on clozapine I have recently started clozapine, my dosage for now is 300mg. I have ballooned up to 96kg ideally i would like to be 80kg

thats only 16kg. i gained 35kg with invega (xeplion) in the time period of a year. a major reason why im dropping anti psychotics altogether is to lose the gained weight. how long did it take you to gain the 16 kg?

I was up to 240 lbs taking clozapine but I work out alot so it was muscle mass rather than fat, my BMI was 17. It was practically steroids! Lately the clozapine seems to have stopped working so the weight has started to come off now.

I gained 20 kg on olanzapine.
I quit taking olanzapine about a month ago but do not seem to have lost any weight yet.

Last time I was on similar medication I gained approximately 23 kg also but as soon as I quit medication it just fell off me so quickly like amazingly felt like within a month or two.

I was hoping so would be the case this time also.

I still love my body.
but… it is heavier more uncomfterble and unhealthy etc etc

I read on a site that it took some one 4 months to lose weight after quitting medication.

I also might of noticed sideeffects from quitting in a way i did not the first time.

Being vegan kept me at a 63 kg despite being on olanzapine and as soon as I started eating “normal” I went up to 70 kg but am usually around 50 kg although 55 kg is better.
Was around 58 kg once when on no medication but eating heeeaaapzzz n unhealthy also.
I was only vegan 8 months.

35 kg is a lot of weight to put on and all in one year.Anon.
That could be very difficult.
It can be heavier n more difficult to move, buy new clothes etc etc

I feel other people have had issues or problems with my fat/weight more than I have.

This month with out medicaion has had its moments but I have been at times taking sleeping tablets.

I have a job interview and hope to get work as i do want it but am also concerned of having a melt down and coping with ide effects of coming of meds as well asmy need for lots lone time etc
I wanted to keep the hours of work down and build up/increase slowly but thats not a option or choice here but you do the job and hours they have available and hope for the best.
Also concerned my medical certificate might not be taken to count if i want to “give it a go” with more hours of work.

Anyway, good luck to us with our bodies , weight n health.

1 Like

I’m on clozapine 225mg. We initially thought that weight gain was cuz of clozapine but it was cuz of prozac(fluoxetine) which I used to take with clozapine. After I stopped prozac, I lost 15 kg in 5 months and was no longer waking up middle of the night to eat carbs. My appetite became normal.

But sadly after stopping prozac, my anxiety came back. I’m now on lexapro(escitalopram), but have again started to gain weight. All SSRIs make me gain weight though.

I gained a lot of weight my short time on clozapine…and those blood tests

It should only be used as a last resort IMO…when abilify, latuda, zyprexa, prolixin, etc… Don’t work

Has anyone using clozapine tried sarcosine with their Clozapine?