Carcinogenicity of psychotropic drugs: A systematic review of US Food and Drug

THIS IS OLD NEWS. BUT IT WAS NEWS TO ME. MAY BE NEWS TO SOME OF YOU. DECIDED I WOULD TELL YOU ABOUT IT.

Published in the Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, the paper revealed the following about psych meds:

• 63.6% of antidepressants are associated with carcinogenicity, specifically mirtazapine (Remeron), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), duloxetine (Cymbalta) and bupropion (Wellbutrin).

• 90% of antipsychotics agents are associated with carcinogenicity, including aripiprazole
(Abilify), quetiapine (Seroquel) and all others in this class except for clozapine (Clozaril).

• 70% of benzodiazepines/hypnotics are associated with carcinogenicity,
specifically clonazepam (Klonopin), zolpidem (Ambien), zaleplon (Sonata), diazepam (Valium), eszopiclone (Lunesta), oxazepam (Serax) and midazolam (Versed).

• 25% of amphetamines/stimulants are associated with carcinogenicity, specifically methylphenidate (Ritalin).

• 85.7% of anti-convulsants (“mood stabilizers”) are associated with carcinogenicity, specifically valproate (Depacon), carbamazepine (Tegretol), gabapentin (Neurontin), pregabalin (Lyrica), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) and topiramate (Topamax).

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275521284_Carcinogenicity_of_psychotropic_drugs_A_systematic_review_of_US_Food_and_Drug_Administration-required_preclinical_in_vivo_studies

1 Like

If the disease doesn’t make you kill yourself the meds will do it for you

2 Likes

If the thunder don’t get you then the lightening will

Recognizing the existence of this hazard can empower a patient with the knowledge to avoid dangerous consequences as a result of psych drugs.

2 Likes

It’s important to note that the dosage they’re giving these rats and mice is many milligrams per kilogram of body weight, much more than the milligrams per kilogram in a human dose.

1 Like

I think lamictal is cancerous. It’s nasty stuff

This study provided little information about what might occur at lower doses. However, it seems prudent to acknowledge the carcinogenic potential associated with these drugs and look for alternatives where they exist.

Pfft. 25 years in and I’m still kicking booty. I say again:

“Thank gawd for my meds.”

:blush:

1 Like

No one is interested in convince you whatsoever. I merely provide impartial information. It’s your body. Enjoy!

What this basically proves is- if you’re a rodent avoid taking really heavy doses of neuroleptics.

2 Likes

Well coming from a monkey I guess being a rodent isn’t so bad. Did I read that right?

I guess it depends whether you believe a rodent is superior to a monkey.

In India rodents are holy. So I guess I do believe that rodents are superior

1 Like

You’d think by the way they handle our meds that they don’t want us to live very long…snif.

1 Like

If only it were that simple. In biomedicine they don’t have the luxury of modelling on humans by beginning. Instead what they have are a lot of theoretical grounds for questioning thr predictive utiliuy of animal models.

http://www.babs.unsw.edu.au/research/antipsychotic-drugs-and-their-effect-some-cancers

1 Like

Fair enough.   

Don’t trust statistics u r given, they are prone to error and bias