Cannabis and psychosis: it’s high time for a review

It’s hard to tell on the face of it what the knock-on effects of using cannabis are with the wash of media attention, political messages, and people trying to avoid sounding like a massive downer.

But when looking at the clinical evidence overall, how can we discern the true state of affairs, and how much is actually known about the psychological harms and benefits of cannabis?

2 Likes

The truth is that only people at risk for psychotic illnesses will have psychosis due to Cannabis. Cannabis is safe for the vast majority of people and has very real medical benefits for a large number of people. The benefits outweigh the risk, for MOST people.

3 Likes

How do you know? I thought they were still studying it.

I know because my psychiatrist told me. Don’t believe what you read on the internet, it usually isn’t true.

1 Like

I am diagnosed SZ and use cannabis products, but that’s just me.

I’ve just read your post. I guess I shouldn’t believe it?

5 Likes

I don’t think psychiatrists know for sure about anything let alone something that is just now being studied.

1 Like

I don’t know. I had a friend who would do it and it would make him incredibly paranoid. I don’t know why he kept using it, it wasn’t for any medical reason. He never was diagnosed with a psychotic illness, he was just a SOB after using it.

I think it’s a drug like any other and has side effects, some of which are much more serious than the munchies and red eye.

Drugs are used by witches there is alot of deception involved when it comes to using drugs can allow spirits into your body and cause you to be possessed like me my best advice is do your best to live by God’s law. With no sin. I know it’s hard but it is the only possible way to overcome such a challenge in life

setting is a major factor, you need a full stomach and positive surroundings,

1 Like

If you suffer from a psychotic disorder and continue to smoke weed, you are basically playing Russian roulette.
It’s just a bad idea.
When are people going to get it.

3 Likes

I found that smoking weed and taking sertraline set me off on episodes. But when I stopped setraline, and smoked weed I was fine!

2 Likes

The moral of your story is this: It’s different for everyone. There should be no blanket statements about cannabis.

4 Likes

This reminds me of the grandparent who went to live to a hundred while smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. Goes to show tobacco cannot be said to harm your health, right? :wink:

That’s not what I said and you know it. I said there can’t be any blanket statements. Just because cannabis causes SOME people to become paranoid or psychotic doesn’t mean it does that to everyone. It IS safe for many people.

3 Likes

I agree! I only smoke in the proper settings. Otherwise I get very anxious. You just gotta me smart about your marijuana usage

I miss smoking it, but I ain’t risking it again, im too deep of a person anyway

1 Like

I think excessive use of cannabis can be harmful. As for people with a mental illness with psychosis as a major symptom, I think it’s better to be sober. Speaking from experiences I’ve had the way I see it, I already have an overactive imagination without mind altering drugs, with them well it may become harder to tell between what is real and what is not. I think as a schizophrenic it’s better to smoke with someone you trust than to smoke alone but ultimately it’s better to just not smoke at all. I think with it being legalized in a populous state there may be more evidence regarding smoking and schizophrenia. I’ve met people who smoke every day and they’re doing fine but I’m sure there will be an increase in mental illness once it’s legalized and readily available simply because there will be people who smoke excessively, similar to an alcoholic with alcohol.

Smoking weed daily and taking drugs is literally the reason that I became psychotic. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone

1 Like

I believe you. It’s good you offer first hand experience. I remember when I smoked I was “fine” and the doctors were “wrong”. I think for people who may read your posts it’s good to remind them to lay off the pot once in awhile. Too much and you’ll go crazy. When I smoked daily and I ran out I’d become irritable. It’s an addiction and a drug. Maybe not the worst drug, but a drug nonetheless. In excess it’s bad.