Can you hear Schizophrenia in your voice? Help us find out at psychlex.neurolex.ai

Dear Schizophrenia.com community,

We are a group of undergraduate and graduate students working under the guidance of our university’s psychiatry faculty and a startup to improve early testing and treatment of psychosis.

We are working with Schizophrenia.com (SzAdmin has approved this post) to help gather data with the goal of helping diagnose schizophrenia and other behavioral health disorders sooner using only a sample of voice. We specifically analyze voice samples to measure things like how many words per minute are spoken and how closely related words are in the same sentence since we know words tend to become less related in psychosis.

We believe earlier intervention can help prevent disease and also reduce duration of untreated psychosis to help people improve their quality of life faster.

We are doing some initial user feedback testing. Please visit this link and let us know if you have any feedback for us before we send this out to larger groups.

psychlex.neurolex.ai

The link will lead you to a site to provide a 30 second voice sample and also answer some basic survey questions that should take 10 minutes in total to complete. This will hopefully help us identify parts of your voice that correlate with how you are feeling. This is completely anonymous and will only be used for medical research.

Please let us know what you think of this tool.

Thank you

8 Likes

I am new to this forum. This type of post is not what I came for. If I want to participate in research studies, I will seek it elsewhere. I thought that this was a community place to share, not a lab.

I support this type of project - its a good way to help the researchers help families by pushing the science forward. I encourage people to participate.

6 Likes

As someone who supposedly has experienced psychosis I have participated. I am hoping at a later point we may get individual feedback on any recording we may make.

2 Likes

Hi! My name is Hirali and I am one of the undergraduate students working on this research project. We are looking for people who would be open to the idea of contributing voice samples and their experiences to help us diagnose schizophrenia earlier in life. I am also here to answer any questions you may have!

1 Like

I’ve read on ATS in spiritual communication can happen through the tongue and I get the same thing. It’s annoying because I do try to keep my breathing to myself but words can come out. I’m sure you’ll find out soon enough that even through the nose people are breathing out words.

1 Like

I would participate, but my desktop doesn’t have a microphone :frowning:

I did it just now,

Took like 10 minutes all together and I didn’t have to log in to anything or give any information.

3 Likes

Your study is focusing on the voice to try to distinguish if someone is prone to schizophrenia?

My brother always tells me I’m ‘off’ by looking in my eyes. Your study should focus on the eyes of patients in psychosis in my opinion.

3 Likes

I did it.

Will be interesting to see if any new discoveries come from it.

4 Likes

there was this test about our eyes that was found very accurate https://psychcentral.com/news/2012/10/31/eye-test-identifies-people-with-schizophrenia/46930.html

1 Like

While i do understand folks who are leery of this and feel like its invasive in a sense, its at least a positive in the fight that we are all fighting, and we are fortunate that folks are still studying our illnesses and with each discovery comes a breakthrough. So i am all for this, there are many curious things they have found out about schizophrenics by doing brain scans, and research that seems a little out there like this. Like the fact that schizophrenics are rarely fooled by optical illusions such as the rotating mask and contrast test. So, its a good thing and thanks to the team of doctors, researchers and undergrads for doing this for us.

3 Likes

Thank you for all of your comments, they are important to the future of our study! Would you all be able to provide us with a little more feedback on any specific areas that are either easy to follow or too complicated?

As @PatrickT said I think studying the eyes or overall demeanor as well could be beneficial.

By the way how long would a study like this take until it is revealed to the public?

1 Like

I think genetics would be more useful to study. My grandfather was in and out of hospitals when my dad was little. He committed suicide when my dad was 10. I was diagnosed in my 20’s, what if you could test my children before their 20’s and see if they have the same genetic component as I do? A voice study seems kind of silly.

1 Like

The goal is to publish within a year!

2 Likes

There are many researchers taking different approaches - and they are all potentially helpful. This would really help identify people as early as possible and help people get treatment more quickly.

The genetics area is far too complex - as it is thought that there are dozens of genes that influence risk.

2 Likes