Can medications bring me to 100 percent cognition?

I have schizophrenia, I suffered in the past from positive and negative symptoms,
now I have cognitive symptoms, very severe cognitive symptoms.
Other symptoms don’t bother me now.
Do you believe that it is possible, theoretically, to improve drastically cognitively( and possibly reach 100 percent cognition)
after getting on medications?
Have you heard of such cases?
I urgently await your reply ,
Erez.

2 Likes

I think medication only does maybe 50% of the work, the rest is up to you.
It may not be easy but it can be done, though I’m sure with some additions to diet would benefit some more mental improvements, as well as exercise.
If someone responds well to medication, they may even have 70% of the work done, it also probably depends if they got helped in the prodrome/early phase of their condition.

3 Likes

I would like to find someday a cure for this too. I hope someone in the forum can help. What especific symptoms you have?

There is no cure to sz…medication dont help with cognitive disfunction.it only help positive symptoms. .i personally feel my cognition and negative symptoms are worse…i am waiting for min101 & sep856…

1 Like

@far_cry0 by saying that there is no cure, it means that there
is no UNIVERSAL method that helps EVERYBODY overcome
completely all of their symptoms.
However, in SPECIFIC cases people manage to do very well.
I am asking whether drastic cognitive improvement is possible after getting on meds.
Whether you have heard of such cases.

1 Like

U can try medication…dont expect ur cognitive dysfuntion will reverse once again…
I am extremly sorry to share this as i also suffer from cognitive problem…medication help us a little…have a good day and take care…

1 Like

No and no.

All of the people I have encountered who have recovered their cognitive functioning all spent YEARS pushing themselves to function better. There is no magic pill that gives you everything back. Sarcosine is the closest thing you will find to a miracle supplement and it only provides a MILD boost.

Take your meds.

Diet and exercise.

Exercise your brain constantly. Read. Write. Learn. Challenge yourself.

Avoid idling your brain playing simple video games or watching too much television.

And always keep a positive attitude.

That’s what did it for me.

Hope this helps.

8 Likes

You may also try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), if it’s available in your country.

2 Likes

There’s this app I’ve been using called Lumosity, it’s full of brain training exercises and it’s pretty fun. It costs about $8 I think I’m not real sure

Yes, Lumosity or BrainHQ are online platforms where you can subscribe and play a variety of brain games that allegedly improve different aspects of your cognition.

3 Likes

U cannot will your cognition to return. There’s​ probably plenty of people that try

You can work on your cognition and improve it by quite a lot. The brain improves with exercise just like the rest of your body. If you just watch TV all day, your cognitive symptoms will be worse than if you try hard to overcome them.

3 Likes

If i play the same game everyday, im gonna get better at the game. My overall cognition is still the same tho. Do u get me?

I get what you’re saying, but it’s not really correct. Cognition involves a lot of general skills that you can improve too. For instance, playing FPS games improves your attention in various ways, which improves your performance in a wide range of situations, including driving. You can improve your cognitive symptoms by exercising your brain. It worked for me.

4 Likes

Nope. Best way is to retrain yourself and you might get 80% of it back. Maybe in the future they will have better medications or therapies, but there is no magic pill(s).

I treated my illness like a brain injury. A stroke victim suddenly loses function, and, with training and therapy, can usually regain most or all of it back. I tried something similar, and guess what?

25 years ago I could barely read a couple of sentences, let alone a whole book. Eventually, I could read a book. Then books. Now I can even write books (I’m a published author and wrote popular training manuals for other technicians at one point).

Oh, by the way… I’m also married, have a kid, work full-time, do a lot of volunteer work, am respected in my community (I keep winning local awards), and have a blast doing photography and amateur broadcasting as hobbies.

Not shabby for the nutcase who was told he was so sick he’d be in “managed living” for the rest of his life, eh?

The hardest part of recovery is believing you CAN recover. Everything good follows from that.

4 Likes

i never got as bad as u did but it seems like uve made more improvement past where im at. ive accepted that ill never be the old me. congrats

2 Likes

I swear to God both my negative and cognitive symptoms have improved dramatically since I started Latuda 6 months ago. I read online that I would never get better and resigned to it but I am feeling almost normal right now minus a few side effects from medication. I don’t know how this happened and my doc didn’t really explain when I told him what happened. I swear I can work better now and get more done without being tired. I feel I’m on my way to a full recovery.

1 Like

Let’s understand the definition of cognition, cognitive skills or abilities, and cognitive disabilities. I’ll let you decide from there on what may be beneficial to your cognitivity.

First of all, what is cognition? Cognition has to do with how we understand the world and act in it.

Definition of cognition:
the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses.

A result of this; a perception, sensation, notion, or intuition.

Definition of cognitive abilities and skills:

Cognitive abilities are brain-based skills we need to carry out any task from the simplest to the most complex. They have more to do with the mechanisms of how we learn, remember, problem-solve, and pay attention, rather than with any actual knowledge. For instance, answering the telephone involves perception (hearing the ring tone), decision taking (answering or not), motor skill (lifting the receiver), language skills (talking and understanding language), social skills (interpreting tone of voice and interacting properly with another human being).

Definition of cognitive disabilities:

Cognitive disorders are a category of mental health disorders that primarily affect learning, memory, perception, and problem solving, and include amnesia, dementia, and delirium. … Causes vary between the different types of disorders but most include damage to the memory portions of the brain.

2 Likes

I went from catatonic and being dependant on others to being able to care for myself and family. It’s a long road. But I also learned that you have to want to get better.

2 Likes