Can i die from taking antipsychotics?

sorry but its all a big mess one bad medication can kill you
if you dont take it it can also kill you

and when you take it it will shorter your life span indeed

all ■■■■■■ up

just try to find a treatment that works i myself am going on Glycine a 3rd generation anti psychotic like sarcosine and ITI 007 alike that has proven to eliminate negative symptoms i mean a fuller recovery is what they say :slight_smile: (i hope)

ive had tardive dyskinesia, tardive psychosis (is better thanks to Sarcosine from brainvitaminz and 9 months off the med with persistent improvement) healing of the glutamate what lamictal did on it and put me into a psychotic state.

1 Like

Yea… if you take a fist-full of them at a time, you may OD. But chances are you’d just feel like you were dying as you puked them up.

1 Like

Unfortunately what happens with most medications is the real drug trials happen when millions of people in America begin taking them. The drug trials themselves are pretty laughable, in my opinion. The real drug trials the real lab rats are you and me, your husband, your grandparents when they take these things and they find out what they do to people.

It is too early to tell in my case.
I don’t know if I’ll gain weight massively or how it might affect my exercise capacity.
(Yesterday exercise went well but today not).
Meds affect different people differently.
It helps me with intrusive thoughts( which completely dominated me) and I definitely prefer it that way.

Because of bad habits, some people with schizophrenia die earlier than majority.

Do schizoaffectives and schizophrenics really die earlier than the general population??? That’s so scary. Why is that? Are our brains really dying, even on AP’s??

Antipsychotic side effects make my depression worse. Most of the time so long as I have good sleep, routine, and regular social interaction my psychosis is quite mild and sort of fades into the background of my life so I only choose to go on them during times in life where I know I will be lacking one of the three things I mentioned earlier.

I feel terrible for everyone who has to be on them all the time. They are nasty, nasty medications. But at times very necessary because they are the best we’ve got.

A schizophrenic is more likely to die from suicide before dying from AP effects but yes they do create some bad things long term depending on which you’re on. Heart problems, diabetes, etc…

1 Like

It’s because of the increased suicide and accident rate, obesity, diabetes, poor diet and exercise, stress and often neglect of other health issues.

3 Likes

The meds don’t shorten our lives.
The meds lengthen our lives.
Sz and Sza, when they’re untreated, shorten our lives.
If I hadn’t have been on meds, I would have died a long time ago.
Stay on your meds.

6 Likes

If it’s OK to ask, what exactly would’ve caused you to die a long time ago?

I wonder if that number is that high also because we have like a 10 percent suicide rate too. Also like 90 percent of schizophrenic smoke. Also weight problems of sz.

1 Like

I almost died trying to switch to Clozapine. I have high blood pressure, partly due to the AP’s. I’m 75, and have been on antipsychotics since I was 20. My thinking has deteriorated to a state of idiocy lately. I think it is because of the long term medication. It is a well-known fact that SZ’s live shorter lives than the rest of the population.

It’s not just antipsychotics , all meds have side effects, which can lead to death. But it doesn’t mean you’ll die early. This 95 year old has been taking meds since the age of 30 for arthritis. She is still here.

1 Like

Oh, suicide, definitely.

It’s a perfectly reasonable question I think they say that we are at higher risk of metabolic disease like diabetes and heart problems and this can shorten our lifespan and also I think 1 in 10 commits suicide… But if you try somehow to look after your health I know it’s hard cos for me my motivation is really low but just try as hard as possible then it could be ok

Conditions like neuroleptic malignant syndrome and serotonin syndrome can result from taking these drugs as well as antidepressants. These conditions are often fatal when severe and left untreated

Some antipsychotics can cause sudden death from lowering white blood cell count. They can also cause overheating or hyperthermia. They can also have bad effects on the heart potentially increasing the risk of sudden cardiac death.

These conditions mostly occur rarely and vary from drug to drug.

2 Likes

One just needs to look at the side effect list in their medicine box it’s so long. Even small things like hair loss which I get can have a big impact on self esteem

1 Like

I almost died from NMS. I was prescribed too much medication.

2 Likes