Can abilify make people twitch?

Ok so I am on the Abilify maintena 400mg (injection) plus on abilify oral pills 20mg once a day and every since they put me on the extra 20mg about 10 days ago I have been getting these involuntary movements in my wrist and hands some times they are just muscle spams other time my fingers acually twitch and move and in my legs the same thing is happening from the middle of my thigh down to my feet muscle spasms therought my leg and then in my ankle and toes i get twitching and movement. I cannot get these spasms and movements to stop no matter what I could do and they are happening about ever 15 to 20 minutes…

Has this happened to any of you who have taken abilify? Is this some thing that I should be worried about?

I feel like I should tell my PDR but I am afraid he will stop the meds and I dont want that because for the first time in years I am not hearing voices or seeing things and I think being a little annoyed is better then hearing voices!

So what do you all think?

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR! When I was on Topamax I had this problem, and my doctor switched me off IMMEDIATELY. That is a really bad sign. You are risking neurological damage.

1 Like

You should definitely tell your doctor about this. There are other AP’s, it might take a bit of time to find a right one, but if this is the side-effect it sounds like it is you should definitely switch IMO.

1 Like

Okay so my doctor thinks my abilify is to high so he is keeping me on the 400mg injection once a month and he put me on 10mg oral for the next to weeks and after that we are going to see if the twitching stops, But so far the twitching has continued

Thank you all for you input

oh i have this too! My wrist twitches and my fingers curl at unexpected moments. So obnoxious and it makes me look different from the normals. :frowning:
I’m on 15 mg pills and my wrists/fingers still twitch.

Let forum know if 10 mg makes it go away, maybe I can convince my pdoc to lower my dose again (she was not eager to do that last time, but I’ve been well) . If no twitching occurs at 10, then I want to lower the dose.

Ill let you know if it helps me

im having the same excat twiching but im also having it in my legs and feet

1 Like

YES and one day we well be able to tell by twitch were the brain is damaged.

1 Like