Caffeine and nicotine

So I wrote a post years ago about coffee and cigarettes when I did a project for a class on them

I realized that everyone vapes. I sit here on a saturday with my coffee and vapor mod and I am like oh yeah I forgot, I am schizophrenic.

1 Like

I try and use caffeine rarely, I don’t have to be alert and motivated every day of the week. That way I don’t build up a tolerance to it so I can drink like a teaspoon of instant coffee and get a serious buzz.

I woke up at 3pm today and drank a teaspoon of coffee to prepare for my weekly long run. I felt great throughout and even after, I could probably run again tomorrow if I wanted to.

1 Like

What exactly does nicotine do for you? I’ve tried vaping before but found that it was unpleasant on the throat and I did not feel much from it.

Nicotine is a stimulant and has been proven to help the mind process things more quickly. This is important in people with Sz/SzA because we often have cognitive deficiencies. Nicotine has been shown, in a lot of us, to somewhat improve our thinking and make it easier for us to accomplish things. There are now drug companies working on developing nicotine-like drugs that we could take to improve cognitive function without smoking cancer sticks.

2 Likes

Interesting. How long does the cognitive benefits from nicotine typically last? I’m curious if it would be useful to consume nicotine prior to an exam to improve cognitive performance throughout the exam.

I knew a guy who would chew nicotine gum during exams.

1 Like

When I was in the army a lot of people were doing the caffeine/nicotine thing. It seemed to age them faster than usual.

Actually coffeine and nicotine seems to lessen side effects of APs. Was told by pdoc once that nicotine lowers blood levels of meds.

I think nicotine does in fact speed up the mind a little. Maybe for two seconds. And in the old days they thought it was a effective treatment for sz. And i said that once while living In a group home to the staff and she said “that’s proven to be a myth!” She could’ve just been saying that. But I don’t think nicotine is beneficial. That said I like it. I think it’s benefits and sideeffects almost cancel each other out if you’re vaping. And if you’re smoking the negatives outweigh the positives.