Bright Light Therapy for Negative Symptoms

To the Editor: Since Kraepelin’s description,1 negative symptoms have been considered central to schizophrenia. Negative symptoms cause serious personal, social, and occupational functioning disability in schizophrenia patients. As pharmacologic strategies are frequently insufficient in the treatment of negative symptoms, alternative treatment approaches are required. Aichhorn et al2 showed that bright light therapy improved negative symptoms in residual schizophrenia. In contrast, a recent study3 revealed that bright light therapy did not improve negative symptoms but exacerbated general psychopathology. To date, the effect of bright light therapy on negative symptoms has been rarely studied, and no definite conclusion regarding its efficacy has been determined. We describe a case of residual schizophrenia in which negative symptoms were improved by bright light therapy.

http://www.psychiatrist.com/PCC/article/Pages/2017/v19n05/17l02117.aspx?utm_content=buffer8c28b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

1 Like

Guys have u ever used bright light therapy …can u report on this …

I tried bright light therapy and it made me much more apathetic. The apathy went away again a couple of days after stopping.

2 Likes

tried it. didnt do anything for me except having to sit infront of this light for 30 minutes. may as well of shined a flashlight in my face every morning. cept the flashlight doesn’t cost 200 bucks :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Those dealing with persistent negatives should try reducing or changing AP, cause that is one of the causes. Then they should also try CBT, it works for me so I assume it could work for others too?

1 Like

Ah well … I won’t be trying that then !

It would seem to be something , based on current evidence, that helps some but not others. Probably would be useful if they could hone in on who it’s likely to help.

1 Like

I actually just bought a day lamp for the winter. I tested it out for 10 minutes and I felt a natural lift in my mood but I’m not sure it helped with negatives.

I know that people with mood components to their disorder shouldn’t use it because it can trigger mania. I remember a friend with bipolar telling me her to doctor told her that.

Anyhow, does anybody else care to chime in about their experience with light therapy?