Brand name Risperdal more potent than Generic?

Yeah so lately I have not been doing so well.
Increased paranoia, not showering for a week, and feeling like I’m stuck in some dream.
I really don’t want to switch meds, so I was wondering if switching back to the brand name version of Risperdal would be a good idea.
My psychiatrist once told me that the brand name is more potent than the Generic versions.

Looking back it seems like she could be right.
Does anyone notice differences between the Generic and Brand names of their Antipsychotics?
(Other than the cost)

1 Like

This is Ridiculous.
Anyone?!?!

1 Like

The only generic I’ve tried is seroquel’s generic and it seemed ok but then I’d never tried the brand name. Here in Australia I can’t get generics for my invega and lexapro, not yet anyway.

But I think if you’ve noticed a difference then it’s worth going back on the brand name to test the theory. Are you keeping a journal of it all to compare?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 Like

I’ve never been sensitive to the difference between brand name and generic for any med, but it makes a huge difference for some people. Will your insurance cover the brand name, though? Some don’t.

3 Likes

Hey @Wave. I see that you are unhappy that your topic received no reply.
So here is my reply.
I am sorry to hear that you are not doing well lately.
I am not an expert on the matter you raised, of generic versus brand name medications.
I don’t think that there is difference between brand and generic versions.
You have the option of tinkering with the dosage, or trying to improve while staying on the same med regime
( and that’s in case you don’t want to switch medications).
I send you my love,
I hope for good news from you,
Erez.

3 Likes

Thank you @Erez_Shmerling and @Ninjastar for replying.

Yes my insurance will pay for the brand name versions @Ninjastar.

1 Like

ive never had the name brand of any of the meds ive been on always generic but I don’t think there is a difference in potency there shouldn’t be that would be messed up

1 Like

I don’t know about that.
My psychiatrist told me that the Brand name version was more potent than the Generic versions.

I personally feel as if she is right.
I’ve been on both versions before.

1 Like

Hi @anon84763962
Yes I keep a journal.
I will see what she decides to do.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

(Sorry I didn’t see your post at first)

1 Like

its worth a try you got nothing to lose, but if the switch to brand name doesn’t help maybe consider adding another med since I remember you saying that you are very flattened by risperdal even at the dose you’re on.

1 Like

Maybe low dose Abilify.
This would take care of the high prolactin issue.

would be a bit stimulating as well which would be a benefit so long as its not over stimulating.

Yeah wishful thinking.
Abilify was way too stimulating for me when I was on it.

Never know the risperadone might tame down the stimulation a bit and the abilify might tame down sedation.

This is true too @Raven09!
You are making me think.
Going to discuss a lot of different things with my pdoc next week!
Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve noticed a difference in different generic brands you might try finding out what generic you did good on and go back to that. On my haldol I found on this certain brand generic I had to take an extra couple mg to feel good. Ended up finding a different pharmacy that had the old generic that I liked. Worked better immediately. I hate having the Dr change my meds. I try to tweak it on my own then tell him what I found worked better. Don’t think most Dr’s would be upset for taking a little extra because you don’t feel quite right.

1 Like

I’m taking generic Risperdal, it still gives me the prolactin issue, so I’m gonna have to talk to my GP about the possibility of switching, as I’m not on a very high dose anyways (only 0.5 mg).

1 Like