Books are not interesting anymore?

Hello, I am recovered from schizophrenia and i just hear voices sometimes… But back then when i used to take adderal, i was reading a tons of books and actually enjoying them. Now after this problem, I don’t feel like reading books and actually loving it. Why i can’t naturally read a book and understand it , I always need something like adderall to make me feel happy to read something. I am taking abilify 10mg for 2 months now and ariprazoles and Vyvanse 60mg. I’m not feeling happy like i was before. All i do is watch youtube music and lay off… I was prescriped with adhd and im taking vyvanse 60mg but it doesnt help at all. should I go back to adderall? I want to read a book and feel good about it. Im sad all the time. ugh.

to be honest darubio i think this is something you should talk to your doctor about and they should be able to help, i don’t read much but when i did i loved it, just haven’t got the energy anymore or the time, i read a lot on here tho, i guess i just got fed up with fiction.

1 Like

I think I go through phases. Like I might watch tv a bunch, then the next time read a bunch, then go back to tv. Hope this helps.

Sometimes I have to remind myself - reading fiction isn’t a waste of time.

1 Like

I have a really hard time reading on Abilify. I can’t seem to remember the characters or anything else for that matter. Things like the plot just don’t stick to my brain anymore. It’s the weirdest thing and it really sucks because I used to love to read.

I found I swapped books for the internet these days. My puters has all my entertaining needs as well as much of my educational ones. Most of that’s through the net. But yes, do talk to your pdoc on it

You are right there used to be an emotional behaviour that responds with reading but as we endure our negative symptoms it gets reduced. The only way now is to tally your readings with your situation. I read a lot over here and I enjoy it. I am reading a book called surviving schizophrenia by Fuller Torrey and it is somewhat interesting to learn more about this illness. Good luck anyway

I have a college degree yet I can’t read big books anymore…I have some coffee table books with lots of grand pictures to look at so I feel like I still look at books.

i dont know i used to be a bookworm now i cant read a few pages without wanting to zzzzzzzzzzzz just thought id point out the audiobooks option.tc

I’m guessing you were taken off of Adderall for a reason? Did it trigger psychosis symptoms? If it did then maybe looking at a non-stimulant like Strattera for the ADHD may help. Talk to your doctor about the different types of medications available.

I don’t think a love of reading comes naturally; it’s something you need to consistently work for.

1 Like