Been freaking out for an hour and a half

I’ve mentioned the trouble I’ve been having with my van misfiring during/after rain. Well, we finished early at work today, and I was all set to rent a car for the next couple days, since there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow. I went to back out of my space, and the wheel won’t turn. I frantically called the car rental place, and he said it was too late to get a ride today, and there was no way I could walk there by 5:30. So, I am without a vehicle, may have to junk the van, and it’s my first week at my great new full-time job. Lovely timing. I’m terrified that I could lose my job over this, even though I’m going to be at the rental place when it opens at 8 tomorrow, which will put me at work at least 2 hours late. We’re doing orientation, very structured schedule for the day; it’s not like it’s regular work where someone could cover my station, though being late for that is bad enough.

I don’t know what I’m going to do. I don’t have much money in the bank, not enough to pay for expensive repairs or to buy a cheap used car, much less to do that and still pay my rent in five days. Not to mention the cost of the rental cars. This is rough, I’m pretty much ■■■■■■. :disappointed:

you can not borrow anybody’s car?

We had problems with our old car out in torrential rain.

We called the rac / aa out and they sprayed some wd40 in the engine, so it got us home, even though one of the cylinders had problems firing!

When the engine dried out we didn’t have any more problems till we gave the car to a friend a few years later.

I though AAA Or something would work ?

Can you join a breakdown service like these guys? I’m sure they get most of their customers on the roadside anyway?

I got an email back from the orientation leader, and he said “no worries,” and that he will catch me up when I get there. My sister just pointed out to me that the Enterprise at the airport is open until midnight. That’s a hell of a cab ride, though, along with a hell of cab ride back when I drop the car off. Since he is okay with me being a little late, I may just wait for 8am for the Enterprise I can walk to, save myself money and stress. Now I just have the money/vehicle issue to be stressed out about.

I have AAA, but they’re good for tows and tire changes, pretty much. I’m going to call AAA early in the morning to get the van towed to the mechanic.

1 Like

I don’t know anyone with a spare vehicle

you said it is impossible with public transport? If you wake up and leave at 5 am ?
You do not have any credit card at all >

Not even a friend who can take and drop you off for a few days?

Yes, it is a long drive, no bus goes from here to there.

My credit cards are already pretty much maxed out.

My only good friend lives a kinda long distance from me and my work, plus he and his wife only have one vehicle.

Can you car pool with anyone from work or advertise about it?

Hope you get your car fixed soon.

My car needs fixing too.

How is work going?

1 Like

I haven’t met any of my coworkers yet, as far as carpooling. The only people I know are the couple other techs in orientation with me, and they live nowhere near me. Not many people who work there live where I live, it’s a bit of a drive.

Orientation is going fine, haven’t started the real work yet.

can you sell something you own ? How are you gonna pay :flushed:

I don’t own anything of value.

I can pay for the rental for the next week or so, and I will be able to pay my rent a few days late when I get paid from the new job. It’s going to be tight, though, and I don’t know how I will sustain spending at that rate. I suppose if I have to have the van towed to a junkyard, I should get a few hundred for it.

1 Like

I guess no uber/lyft?

Man that sucks, good that they are being nice about it.

1 Like

Getting moisture in the engine is fixable call the AAA!

I do not know why you live by paycheck while you are a pharmacist. :frowning:

I’m a pharmacy tech, not a pharmacist. Huge difference in pay.

1 Like

I’m way too paranoid to use uber or lyft.

I just have a feeling something is seriously messed up. We’ll see, though.