Bedtime Philosopher

Does anybody else come up with the deepest stuff when you are about to go to sleep. Like for me I had this idea of what happens when someone is having word salad. I’m sure there are many neurobio theories out there about this but I can up with something inside my head.

Okay so word salad is when you try to express your thoughts in your head and outside your subconscious responds to your thought maybe in the form as a strong opinion you subconsciously have about that thought. But like at a few words at a time. You may not even be aware of the other side of this “conversation” and just flowing down your paranoid thoughts but in reality some very smart people can see right through you and know exactly what you were trying to say.

Maybe it’s just innapropriate use of metaphors idk I never had word salad but I found this article that sort of says kinda what I theorized…

BTW this is just my random bedtime philosopher theory

1 Like

hey,

I play cricket and was a captain for a while and had this player who played with us. I’m a paranoid schizophrenic and I’m pretty open about it…I don’t give a shite what others think but I am different to most folks…most folks are surprised when I tell them but!!!

He’s a great lad but from what we’ve figured out he’s had an accident…and when he’s excited like when he’s stressed he talks what is basically word salad…

It’s a great theory but after seeing this dude and interacting with him…he gets out and I go and talk to him…it’s nothing even remotely close! This guy just talks no linear, nonsensical sentances…most guys just say he’s nuts and it’s not far off…

As a responsible member of the cricket club…and some considerable experience with mental illness- I’ve approached this lad and walked away after a five minute conversation about stuff being none the wiser…I have no idea what the hell this guy has said in five minutes…it’s like word salad with the added benefits of loose associations…Alls I can figure is that he thinks he’s saying one thing to you…something basic and profound…he does like to talk the talk…but it just comes out as complete jargon!

Other folks just write him off…I tell everyone that I like to keep him round because he makes me look normal as a joke…probably a bit harsh but we look out for him…he’s rather strange to deal with…if he gets given out he usually walks off the field…ditches the shirt and walks around talking to trees…( yes he does that!)…

Like no offence to your theory but there has to be another explanation for this guy!

A confused friend,

Rogueone.

2 Likes

haha that sounds like a fun charachter to be around for like 5 minutes but yeah maybe he has some sort of brain damage like aphasia or something

Yeah benifits… lol

1 Like

I wish I could get some decent knowledge as to whether or not the average person could consider themselves in some way a bedtime philosopher. I constantly question if people’s ability to find joy in critically thinking or honestly just the ability to critically think is as black and white as it seems. As in, some people have it and some people don’t. Because after having some sort of expierences with mental illness I think someone’s mind is going to have some kind of spark. But what about without that?

1 Like

I remember coming up with some real odd ideas right before sleep, but for my best brainstoms, they come right after I wake up, and get in the shower.

1 Like

I think for me… my word salad hits when I have too much going on in my head and it’s hard to get it all lined up. Also, sometimes I’m fighting though blocking or memory wipe.

I know what I want to say, but it starts to fade as I say it, so I try to get ahold of my sentences before they vanish, but then it all gets confused.

I don’t know how it is for others, but for me it usually starts kicking in when I’m having a really hard day.

1 Like