Bad heart health kills schizophrenia patients

When they come out with better meds that work on the specific target and don’t makes us zombies. I will rejoice!

Yeah this is a joke…i smoke to try numb the screaming in my head and on 500 mg of seroquel.

Dude they just GOT to do something about this disease

2 Likes

Let’s pray on that knife they have to destroy the SZ

2 Likes

I have chest pains from depression mainly and feel like someone ripped my heart out in flesh because I feel empty.

I don’t mind dying a sudden death - but really don’t wanna hurt anybody (my family)

I have an accelerated heat beat due to Clozapine. However, I had an echocardiogram and a holter monitor and my heart seems to be okay. It just beats 100 times per minute.

Sometimes I think I should change meds. But so far Clozapine is the only one that works.

Try to use propranolol, it’s a medicine that slows the heart rate a little bit. Don’t wear out the life of your heart you tiger!

Okay, I will check it out!

Dude don’t be screwy now, you should probably be on meds if you’re schizo as I am. I’m pretty far out when it comes to it but I take it in stride and style why don’t you??

Why you gotta tell people to get off their meds bro? I don’t think that’s a good idea at all, mental wellness is the most important and you can avoid alot of diseases by just diet alone (like ketosis diet which can help alot for low carb).

Anyways, don’t get salty or anything but there’s a huge authority with the moderators to keeping their mentally ill secure and safe if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

I feel that way too. Like someone squeezed my heart in my chest until it burst and squirted blood all over the place. I haven’t been able to find myself since.

1 Like

I hope my heart stops beating so i don’t have to be here anymore.

That would be too easy, you have to live long enough to have the last laugh and be cured one day.

1 Like

Thought of sharing sky news australia , similar grounds
Australians with schizophrenia die 25 years earlier than the general population, according to a new study.

The gap in life-expectancy has been labelled a ‘preventable tragedy’ and led to calls for urgent national action.

A research paper by researchers at the University of Sydney and published in the Medical Journal of Australia, shows people with this mental illness mainly die because of poor heart health.

‘People with schizophrenia and psychosis die early in life mainly from heart attacks, heart disease, and strokes due to untreated hypertension and high cholesterol, and high rates of obesity and smoking,’ said lead author, psychiatrist Professor Tim Lambert of the University of Sydney Collaborative Centre for Cardiometabolic Health in Psychosis (ccCHiP).

1 Like

So what’s the solution? Do they offer one?

1 Like

I nèd to get my s**t together and get to the gym. If it’s the only productive thing I do. Feel like a failure bc I am overwhelmed my motivation sucks right now. … soon

Reading this reminds me I should quit smoking. It’s so darn hard to quit smoking for me.

2 Likes

Propranolol is now being researched to reduce the tendency for cancer to metastasise. See video for details of the research.

ABCTVCatalyst - ‘Stress And Cancer’.

1 Like

I am on, and need, a small dose of antipsychotics. Age 69.

I quit smoking 36 years ago. Have been mostly on a high fiber vegan diet and lost 65 pounds in the last 5 years.

There are things patients can do for their hearts, even on meds.

My friends who died young mostly smoked and ate fatty foods and soft drinks.

1 Like

Yeah, I think smoking is a big one.
People’s lives are cut shorter because of cigarettes.
I stopped smoking years ago.
I’m proud of this fact.

It’s true that newer antipsychotics slow your metabolism, cause weight gain, and cause higher triglycerides.

The way to address that is to exercise and treat your triglycerides, such as by using fish oil/omega 3 like I do.

But overeating and smoking is not fully to blame. In my case, I don’t overeat and I don’t smoke, but I gained over 40 pounds in 2 months when I started taking Invega. Then I started Abilify and Seroquel and my Triglycerides went from 188 to 547. Not due to my diet, due to my medication.