Attention span problems coming back

I noticed while on Abilify my concentration/attention span became minimal. It was very frustrating because I couldn’t watch shows I liked anymore without losing interest to keep watching after 10 or so minutes. I’d switch between trying to do different activities and quickly stop due to inability to keep my attention focused. When I dropped Abilify I noticed my attention span went back to normal and I could watch my shows again and all the other stuff. Now that I’ve been on Risperdal for 2 or 3 weeks I’m starting to notice my attention span going again. It is very frustrating because I’m not having any other real side effects from the med except this. However my attention span being shot is a big deal to me. Anyone else deal with this? Did it go away over time?

1 Like

I’ve had similar problems, however I never really connected them to the medications, I always assumed it was a part of the illness itself.

1 Like

that sounds like you have stronger negative symptoms. I have gathered that harder-hitting meds like Risperdal will whack positive symptoms and then leave people “useless” as one person I knew who had taken it reported.

The newer meds ought to help with negative symptoms, but there is a nuance. The activating meds, like Abilify, may make you too active to sit and listen, plain and simple, they jack up that brain activity, especially at first, the first 2-3 weeks the drug isnt even found to do its job. Sort of like getting someone on two monster energy drinks to sit still and study or do cubicle work- not gonna happen, they be bouncin’ around acting a clown.

Like @anon68237654 , I assumed this was because of the illness and not the meds. It gives me some hope to think that it’s med related. Because newer meds like iti-007 may act differently.

But welcome to the crappy world of antipsychotic med trade offs. They giveth and taketh away.

Yeah that’s exactly what it was with Abilify, like being on tons of energy drinks all at once. I couldn’t take it. Thank goodness Risperidone doesn’t do that. It’s concerning to think it could be amplifying my negative symptoms though…

yep, bc without meds I struggle with this

Yeah…■■■■ Abilify…I heard about it when I was like 19 and said hell no after hearing two sentences about it

U can go for MBSR class…!!!