ASD/ NVLD and schizotypal

Is it even possible to be both? Although not diagnosed I fit NVLD more than ASD.

I also seem to fit the following schizotypal traits

ICD

Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar;
Poor rapport with others and a tendency to withdraw socially;
Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas;
Unusual perceptual experiences including somatosensory (bodily) or other illusions, depersonalization or derealization;
Occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation.

1 Like

bump 15 characters

I was diagnosed with NVLD but that was after my psychotic episode, it showed on my IQ so I dont know how accurate it can be. Before that it was just discalcula but cognitive symptoms are present in Schizo disorders well before the onset

I think that it’s possible to have both NVLD and Schizotypal.

I have the (visual) spatial, executive functioning and social difficulties. Also a wide gap between my non verbal and verbal intelligence

asd/nvld + avoidant + schizotypal + learning difficulties = me (IMO)

I think you should avoid comparing yourself to others. That’s the root of misfortune for a lot of people.
It’s dangerous to dwell too much on the cards that you’ve been dealt by fate (genetics). You should try to achieve as much as possible with what you’ve got, and that’s it. That should serve as a basis for your actions and ultimately for your inner peace.

2 Likes

I really wish I could hug you.

:heart:

1 Like

And that’s best achieved by a full recognition of your problems, and with it a reasonable/good level of help and support.

If your problems are not recognised, and therefore appropriate help and support isn’t given, then the chances of optimal achievement are slim indeed.

1 Like

You are without a doubt right in your assertion.
Let me ask you a question.
What exactly do you want to achieve? What is missing from your life? What is your soul longing for?

(ok that was 3 questions :slight_smile: )

At this late stage I would say better interaction with others , and better ability to cope with practical matters.

Those are obviously good and reasonable objectives.
Have you ever tried to get in touch with a psychologist, citing exactly these reasons of concern? Namely, inability to make friends and adequately interact with people, and lack of practicality.

Simple answer-no. Not even sure I could afford one .

Ok, let’s forget the psychologist for now.

1 What do you feel is preventing you for achieving your goals?

a. Social anxiety
b. Lack of self esteem
c. Inertia (having lived this way for too many years)
d. Lack of energy / avolition
e. Other (what?)

2 I don’t think you’ve always been like this (isolated, feeling helpless). How about when you were married? How about when, as a child, you surely had some playfellows? Can you talk a little bit about those times in your life when you were not alone?

When I was married it was very much my wife and I. I had no other friends.

As a child/teenager - 1 friend between the age of 8-13 that I lost when I went from prep to public school. No friends between 13-18.

A handful of friends at most over 60 years

I also had one single friend between the age of 3-18. The rest were only acquaintances, or seasonal friends (we would only meet during summer holidays). Perhaps not surprinsingly, my childhood friend is still my best friend to date. But once I reached adult age I gradually diversified my “portfolio” of friends, and it was a good decision. Why was it a good decision? Because it helped me understand people better, and also it’s better to be able to count on multiple friends in times of need. Every friendship is unique and comes with a difference set of rewards, but also challenges :slight_smile:

You still haven’t answered question 1. And your answer for question 2. is a bit evasive. I would be interested in knowing how you felt during those times when you were not alone. Anyway, many people don’t need more than one friend, so don’t worry about that aspect yet.

Question 1- social anxiety, low self esteem, cognitive issues, some degree of inertia.

Question 2- I felt less anxious when married. My wife was the dominant partner and decision maker until the dementia developed.

Do you know who your neighbors are?
Have you tried keeping in touch with them?
What can you tell me about them? In terms of character, personality, sociability…

(There is of course a gist. I don’t ask questions just to hear myself talking :slight_smile: )

The family in the next door flat are Balkan/East European. I see the husband in passing occasionally. We don’t enter into conversation.