Art and Craft: A Documentary of Unusual Healing

Mark Landis’ paintings have been hung in museums around the country. You can find his work in galleries alongside Picasso, Monet and Matisse. But you won’t find the initials “ML” in the corner of any canvas. No, you’ll see Picasso, Monet, Matisse.

Landis is an art forger—one of the best ever. But for Landis it wasn’t about the money or fame, it was more like putting on a magic show. And for Landis it wasn’t even a crime as he never saw a cent from any of his forgeries: he simply donated them.

The documentary, Art and Craft, follows the life and work of Landis as he provides us with a window into how and why he recreates these works of art and how he deceived proprietors of art galleries and museums across the country.

Landis created multiple aliases in order to pass his paintings off as authentic. Even creating back stories including the death of his fictional sister. He says, “Necessity is the mother of invention, but sometimes the stepmother of deception.”

Inspired by all things classical—movies, music and works of art—Landis uses examples from these artists, characters and individuals to rationalize and defend his craft. For Landis, copying pictures is a gift. It is something that he enjoys and uses as a means of healing.

He gets a rush, the same way a magician does when performing an elaborate trick when a piece he has created gets displayed for the world. He sees himself as a philanthropist and his ploys are so successful because of the sympathy he is able to procure from the individuals he intends to trick.

For many years Landis was the caretaker for his mother. Her passing was extremely difficult and replicating famous works of art was his way of managing grief, as well as doing something that he hoped would make his mother proud.

Landis also happens to live with schizophrenia, something that represents only a small part of who he is but does not define him and for that reason, he is a role model for all of us.His desires to feel respected and to fit in are natural human instincts, things that any person would want with or without a mental illness. We applaud Art and Craft for being able to showcase how an individual living with mental illness can find meaning and motivation in life, even in unexpected places.

http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?Section=Top_Story&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=171395&lstid=809

1 Like

Pretty interesting. Here’s more info on him. http://www.intenttodeceive.org/forger-profiles/mark-landis/

It’s interesting all the different media and styles hes forged.

Art seems to be a therapeutic outlet for a number of people with psychosis/schizophrenia. We have our fair share of artists here.
Art is not my strong point as I have the skills of a 5-7 year old.

Sometimes its not about the end product but the process. Most of my stuff is awful I think. I just enjoy creating it. Its a great cathartic outlet. Plus the more you do the better you will get (usually).

I had 7-8 years of art all told,never improved. Even find it hard to visualise something and get it down on canvas irrespective of the technical quality.

Sometimes I don’t have a plan, I just do whatever comes to mind. Let my mind wander and my hand do what it wants. Choose the colors randomly and not worry. I come up with some interesting abstract looking stuff that way. Then when I think I’m done I look at it and try to figure out what I was feeling and why and you can usually see that theme in whatever I’ve done.

There’s louis Wain a SZ artist in the early 1900’s who painted cats

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/gallery/gall_leonardo/fig1-a.htm

This was an interesting little article from this month.

The change in Wain’s paintings as he got progressively more ill is fascinating.

1 Like