Aripiprazole (Abilify)

Hello,

A little history beforehand. I’ve been on Abilify for nearly 1.5 years now starting out at a low dose of 5mg and finally ending up at 26mg as of a couple weeks ago. I’ve had an addition of Lexapro for about a month and a half but the side effects weren’t nice so it was discontinued. I’d like to change medications but that’s another topic in it’s entirety.

Anyways, to my question. Lately I’ve been experiencing “break through” auditory hallucinations and paranoia, mostly in the evenings. Is it possible that my medication is tapering off in the evenings leaving me susceptible to these “problems”? I take the Abilify fairly early in the mornings every day and I’ve yet to miss a dosage.

I’d like to bring it up with my nurse when we have our phone appointment on Wednesday, but I’m unsure if this is just a delusional feeling I’m experiencing or if it’s entirely possible.

Thanks for your attention!

I take 10 mg Abilify in the morning and 10 in the evening. My voices are back. Maybe Abilify isn’t good enough on voices. But I don’t want to switch to a zombie-pill again.

1 Like

I take abilify and do not experience any voices at all, but it might be different for you.

Some people find it helpful to divide their doses into morning and evening, to adequately cover their symptoms. Definitely talk to your nurse about it.

I hope you get some relief.

Blessings,

Anthony

2 Likes

Everyone who uses abilify, in regard to your delusions does it make you delusion free under low doze and whats that doze? Thanks.

I take 10 mg in the morning and 10 at night and it has pretty much eliminated all paranoia and psychosis. There is a little breakthrough paranoia occasionally, but Abilify has the least debilitating side effects for me and I’d trade a little breakthrough here and there for that.

1 Like

well that could be.
when i was on Abilify it made the ““positive”” symptoms way worse.
more paranoid and delusional thinking, almost hyperactivity

i dont exactly remember my dosage , but it was something like 20 mg

For me does zyprexa melttablets dampens somewhat

1 Like

I’m currently taking 30mg of Abilify (the maximum daily dose in the UK). It seems to be working on my symptoms, which started ten days ago.

1 Like

I take 15, but I split 10mg in the morning, 5mg 12 hours later.

I take 5mg and I don’t have any delusions

I take 10mg. At night and it helps with the auditory hallucinations.

Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist. This means that it sometimes increases dopamine, and this means worsening of positive symptoms for some people. If you have moderate to severe schizophrenia symptoms, I would talk to your doctor about maybe switching over to more potent tried and true antipsychotics like Risperdal, Haldol, Zyprexa etc…
Abilify worsened my condition two fold - This med is not for everyone for sure

1 Like

Like @Wave said, Abilify increases dopamine. It did this to me too, and made my symptoms MUCH worse. I could only take it for 2 days.

1 Like