Are you out?

@Magicfish I think that Jacob Zuma is a very shady figure, what do you think?
Is it considered discussing politics?
Is this allowed?

Can’t people lose their nursing licenses because they’re schizophrenic? Idk I feel like a Jew in the 40s

1 Like

I looked into an RN program,

You don’t have to disclose mental illness,

Of course, they ask.

I’m sure that if you did tell them,

They would just have follow up questions.

If you were stable enough to get a degree, you should be stable enough to get your RN.

But, we’ll see what Anna has to say, her experience may be different.

Let’s hope it’s not true. That’d be sad!

I almost never hide the fact, but I don’t go out of my way to tell people. If it comes up in conversation I’ll tell pretty much anyone. If I’m having symptoms and someone asks if I’m okay, I’m tell them. If I’m feeling weird because of my meds I’ll say so and explain why I can’t just change them. I think I’m high functioning enough that I’m breaking stigma by telling people. So I do it not just for me, but so people see a different side of sz. Because it’s important that people know we’re just ■■■■■■■ normal people.

1 Like

Depends on the state and it’s not that you lose it for being sz, they can prevent you from even getting one or make the process really long and difficult. In my state before you’re even allowed to take the nursing exam, they demand anyone w specifically bipolar or a psychotic disorder disclose. Then the board takes months to review you, basically drilling all your mental health professionals and even having little trials apparently to determine if you’re “mentally fit” enough to go into nursing. Then even if they decide you are, you are put on provision for a number of YEARS where you are forced to do things like get regular drug testing like you’re a criminal or addict!! Plus if you’re under provision, isn’t any hospital that you want to work at going to know that? Why would they choose to hire someone w sz? So it’s just horrible and discriminatory.

Other states simply ask “Do you have any health issues that would prevent you from working safely” which I can easily say no to, this is non-invasive and non-discriminatory.

2 Likes

So I’m confused u said in your state they make u disclose but you like it because it’s non discriminatory? It’s one of the saddest things to hear someone can’t nurse bc the state won’t accept them. On the other hand I can see that not many people would be comfortable with a nurse having schizophrenia- but that’s bc schizophrenia has a stigma of instability when really if you have it under control your only limitations are the medicine you take.

Yesterday was National Coming Out Day for the LGBTQ community.

As for coming out with a diagnosis of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, it’s a personal choice of course, and depending on where you live in the States it carries a different degree of risk. I live in a conservative suburb in Central Florida, and if I told random people that I have schizophrenia there would be some benefit but a lot of risk.

If you live in a major metropolitan area such as NYC, LA, Boston, or Miami, telling random people that you have schizophrenia carries much less risk. That said, it’s still courageous to do so.

My hope is that one day this topic will be antiquated.

1 Like

What no I said the states that don’t force you to disclose are non discriminatory. But yeah there are many people with sz who are stable and have jobs.

Yes Jacob Zuma has stolen all out money.

But thats just politicians they all the same

What if it’s legal where you live, like in Oregon, California, Washington, etc.?

Still waiting and watching.I am out with people who have MI also

No cuz if you post drunk its against the rules too

2 Likes

I hope so, too, but unfortunately, I doubt that it ever will be an antiquated topic. This is one issue that the normies are not going to let go of, and the psychiatric industry does its part to make sure that never happens.

1 Like

okay, I understand

1 Like

How is posting drunk against the rules

1 Like

cant post under the influence

The rules were made out of respect to our members struggling with addiction. You’re not allowed to post about abusing drugs, alcohol, or gambling.

1 Like

I wrote a book about my experiences with scz-affective disorder, pretty much everyone who knows me has read it - I am definitely ‘out’! I’ve had nothing but positive feedback though, everyone thought I was very brave to not only admit to my illness but to bare my soul and talk about my highs, lows and psychotic episodes in detail. I’m not saying I’ve never had negative comments, but since publishing the book I haven’t had any negativity from anyone who has read it. My family and friends are really supportive, and I simply don’t care what anyone outside my circle thinks.

1 Like