Are anti psychotic drugs corrective

Are these meds we are on corrective or they only are preventive by stopping the symptoms from showing again? Do they fix the damage or not? I asked my doc he said corrective too but I thought he was trying to keep me positive. Any idea

I had always thought that the idea was to get the body to start creating the chemical itself so corrective. They have seen repairs but more so combined with talking therapy. Wish I could remember the documentary I saw that on. As was hope for the future to combine more therapies with medication treatment, A way around that though is finding a psychiatrist that trained in psychotherapy and still licenced to give out meds. While practicing psychotherapy. Much like the TV character in the TV show Frasier was.

1 Like

Good question. Since there is no cure and going off medications usually causes a relapse then I’m not sure how corrective medications are. Still I’m guessing the intent or hope is for them to be corrective and taking them should limit or stop potential future damage while correcting damage. So yes, I think they can fix damage.

1 Like

A while back someone posted a link to a YouTube where a psychiatrist who reviews drugs said that Risperdal/Risperidone enables the brain to lay down new connections, so it seems to be corrective in terms of cognition, even if it doesn’t stop psychosis once you stop taking it.

2 Likes

in a matter of fact they are actually destructive.

1 Like

@Qutaiba, Medications can help with symptoms but may not correct the illness itself. I have read that they haven’t found cure yet which makes me believe that the person will be taking medication for a long time. While some go on remission but still required to take minimum dose of medication. @Dreamscape , I heard about what you said too.