APs causes weight gain?

I’ve read anti-psychotic medications cause weight gain, but what happens to you if you have a fast metabolism? Will the APs mess up your metabolism?

I have a fast metabolism, I used to be very skinny, almost like bone and skim, with med I gained weight that I look much better, but I don’t like the belly fat that came with it. I can still loose weight if I exercise and movie around often, but med. .causes me low energy and I spend most of the time sitting.

I used to be skinny , too. The antipsychotics gave me weight. Now I look a normal person. I hate this weight gain because I have to eat very little , just two small meals a day. I wish I could eat more.

Oh, no, but I love my fast metabolism! Oh, well, I weight gain is better than psychosis.

May I ask what you guys eat and do for exercise?

1 Like

Each persons chemistries is different. So not everybody suffers the side effects or gains weight on the meds. To be honest the meds have no calories whatsoever. It’s what people put in their mouth after taking the meds that cause the weight gain.

2 Likes

i wish i’d known about the injectible ap’s before. i used to weigh seven stone…i put on 5 stone due to over eating because of pills. the shots don’t make u put on weight at all. i’ve got another stone and a half to lose, then i’ll b happy with my weight i think. no more pills for me, unless it’s abilify as that’s supposed to be weight neutral. xxx

1 Like

I used to be pretty skinny but then i started taking APs too. i gained 30 pounds. APs effect every person diffrently

I have a very fast metabolism, I was thin before antipsychotic use - some antipsychotics are big weight gainers, some are supposed to be weight neutral ex. Geodon, Abilify, Latuda etc…

1 Like

I’m on Risperdal, and that has made me gain about 30 pounds. I’m trying to really watch what I eat now, so I can lose it. The last time I was on Risperdal, I gained 56 pounds, but then lost it when I switched to Geodon, and really watched what I ate. I naturally have a pretty slow metabolism, so I have never been super skinny.