Anyone with experience with Zyprexa

I use 15MG daily of Olanzapine [same drug, different brand/name] - It really reduced my visual hallucinations but my sleep pattern is off, my audio and tactile are still bad and I gained a lot of weight which took months to shift. The drug helps but I’ve found it all depends on the severity of the condition and the mind-state when on medication [negative thought or mood is more likely to increase negative symptoms etc]

Zyprexa made me feel hungry even after eating a large meal. It made me have flattened affect (this is where over-medicated confounds diagnosis) and made me sleep an abnormal amount (11 hours) and made me gain a few pounds despite being on a diet and working out religiously.

It is known for making people become diabetic as well as making them overweight in the long term. My psychiatrist described it as a “band aid” to be taken for a short term to contain a relapse. He made it clear that he did not want me on it long at all. I took it for one month, maybe a bit less, I can’t remember.

It screws with your stomach, not just belly fat. It literally makes you unable to recognize when you are full or hungry. The only positive consequence of this is that it helps with gastric reflux, which I have a pretty bad case of.

Do not take it long term. It was engineered to mimic clozaril minus the white blood cell crap which kills one in one hundred people when left untreated (by that I mean they run blood tests every week) but it is a failure and is notorious for making people overweight, diabetic and sedated.

None of those three side effects are tolerable to me.

Thanks for all the info everyone! After researching and everyone’s responses I feel much more informed and will consider taking it. The diabetes part freaks me out a little bit though. This might sound dumb but can it cause it without any external force like lots of sugar or do you need to also eat a lot of sugary substances for it to happen

I don’t have an answer for you but that is not a dumb question. You’re smart to ask about these things. Please keep asking!

2 Likes

Well thats really kind of it. I’m not too worried about weight gain I’m as tall as Jordan/Rodman but only weigh 170. No one has said anything about akathisia which is great. Don’t be a booz hound while on it. It’s just the diabetes part thats a little freaky I don’t want to take it then a month later have someone say yea you got diabetes now forever. I mean physically I’m an extremely healthy person my body regulates everything really well and I’m really in tune with it and it shouldn’t be a problem, but I’ll probably talk about it with my psychiatrist when I see him again.

There’s a risk of diabetes as a result of prolonged use of the drug - I’ve been on a high dosage for a year and show no signs thus far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea injections are easier by far, but I wouldn’t say for everyone. - in Jesus name

Zyprexa is decent for cognition and I had decent motivation on it. You’ll really start to enjoy food on zyprexa and this combined with the metabolic effects will lead to you gaining a significant amount of weight. On zyprexa I had dysphoria but it was occasionally replaced by an overwhelming sense of wellbeing and normalcy. Overall the dysphoria anhedonia and weight gain were the worst aspectsof zyprexa. The sedation is very strong and doesn’t get better over time. I had issues with the drug running out and becoming psychotic until the next dose was taken. This was extremely unpleasant. Now I have seroquel xr which only runs out every couple of days. If you want to enjoy food take this medication.

My experience with Zyprexa has been a terrible one. Aside from heping with the positive symptoms, it gave me permanent anhedonia, which has remained after 4 months of not using it. I’m on Risperdal now, and I still feel terrible.

It works fantastic except for the side effects. Major weight gain. It also permanently damaged my pancreas. I now have to take insulin for the rest of my life. The diabetes potential is serious. My suggestion is only short term to deal with full blown psychosis. I had a full break when they put me on it. I was able to return to work within a few weeks. As soon as they took me off of it and switched me to Seroquel, I had another full break with rapid cycling. I was never able to return to a high stress job again. Now I am very satisfied with haldol injections, but, I am unable to work.

zyprexa did good for me,it as a good drug

Zyprexa only worked for me in the short term. It also made me so hungry I’d eat a horse and chase the jockey! I’m on a combo of Latuda, Fluanxol and Largactil now.

How do you find the fluanxol? I love it. I get the depot.

Love it! I also get the fortnightly depot. 80mg does me just fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Am on 60mg. Want to go up to 80mg. Team fluanxol!!!

1 Like

Yep! Woohoo Team Fluanxol! :smiley:

1 Like