Anyone taking 2 anti-depressants?

I have severe anxiety and was whether it was an option to take

2 different type of antidepressants for treatment at the same time eg SNRI & SSRI?

Regards

1 Like

I think it’s more common for people to add a low dose of Abilify to their antidepressant than to take two separate ones. Something about the Abilify makes ADs more effective.

1 Like

I am surprised with the lack of posts which may indicate it is not common to combine anti-depressants?

im on seroquel and rexulti both aps have robust antidepressant effects

I took two antidepressants for a long time, up until last year. For a while there it was Wellbutrin and Effexor. I eventually got taken off the Effexor, then was on just Wellbutrin for a while, then Celexa got added. There were a few others that were tried, briefly, in addition to the Wellbutrin, like Zoloft and Lexapro. Now I’m just on Wellbutrin, as far as antidepressants go, and I am doing fine. This is since giving up alcohol. Also, my AP is Abilify injections, so I suppose that’s another part of why I don’t need two antidepressants.

I’m on Prozac and it doesn’t seem to be working too well. I want to talk to him about adding Wellbutrin (never taken it before).

1 Like

Prozac is the first drug I was tried on, in 2000, and it did nothing for me. I was switched to Wellbutrin a few months later, and it has been a good drug for me ever since. I’ve still dealt with my share of depression, but most of that had to do with my drinking wiping out the antidepressant effects. Now that I’m sober I’m doing well on Wellbutrin.

@synapse321

Since the issue is anxiety I’d ask your pdoc for 50 mg of Seroquel to be taken in the morning (I take 50 mg of Seroquel in the morning and 400 mg at hour of sleep).

What antidepressant are you currently taking?

Have you found the seroquel to be of any use?

I have tried a lot of AP including seroquel to no avail eg it works for a few months then nothing.

I take two antipsychotics, Abilify and Risperidone. And I think I’m sorted for life (hopefully). I have injection of risperidone consta every 2 weeks and I take microdoses of Abilify every Thursday (0.5mg). The abilify helps in small doses, if the dose is too high I get sexual side effects and drug cravings, but at 0.5mg of abilify I have nothing but positives really. The Abilify really takes all the side effects off of risperidone, so I have absolutely no side effects whatsoever in this combination. I feel as if I’m not on medication, thanks to Abilify. When I took risperidone by itself without Abilify I would get major side effects like panic attacks, major weight gain and breathing problems. All I can say is thank god for Abilify and the newer antipsychotics. :slight_smile:

I cant take anti depressants they make me go catatonic im black listed from them

what dosage of risperidone do you take? I take 4 mg daily…not sure how i like it

I was prescribed two antidepressants at the same time 11 years ago, they were 20mg fluoxetine in the morning for anxiety, ocd and depression, and 25mg amitriptyline at night for insomnia.
I have known other people to be on two antidepressants at the same time as well, but it is normally because they have something else wrong with them as well as depression.