Anyone switch meds because of stiff muscles?

I’m doing great mentally on haldol My Dr dosnt want to switch me because I’m doing good. But the pain is getting old I’m really considering changing meds
. Price is important But I may change insurance plans next year so I can afford expensive meds. Anyone experienced this or have Any input?

Yeah, I went thru it with Zyprexa, the doctor was always checking me for “ratcheting” in my limbs. He switched me to Saphris which is amazing, it dissolves under your tongue and tastes like black cherry and Novocain :slight_smile: The price where I am is $599.00 a month for 30 5mg doses, 1 dose a day. Last I checked, Humana doesn’t cover it because its so new.

1 Like

Any relief with anything else are you an average dosage?

Its really just an amazing med, my life is 100% better. During the switch, I got the standard 5mg dose, it got bumped up to 10mg for a while and the only real side effect I noticed during the change was I never really felt hungry. I mean, I could go a couple of days before I noticed I hadn’t eaten, but a 5mg, that went away. Hope this helps friend.

1 Like

Sorry, I posted about side effects. It really helped with my depression as wall to be honest, but I am gonna say this out of respect for you. All of us have different tolerances for medications and each med affects folks differently. Like metabolism, physiology etc. here is the wiki link for Saphris, and for full disclosure, my diagnosis is Schizophrenia with paranoid subtype.

1 Like

Did you try cogentin?

1 Like

It helps but I hate how it makes me feel so I just take it when things get unbearable.

Is that a u.s. price?

Yeah, and its relatively new so I don’t think there is a generic yet. However, because of a high “dropout” rate, there are plans a lot of mental health facilities have that will give it to you at no cost if you are uninsured or underinsured and fall within an income bracket. You can ask, even though it underperforms most medications for manic episodes, it performs well across others like negative schizophrenia symptoms. Its sublingual so there is no having to swallow a pill, you just can’t drink or eat for 10 minutes after you take it. I hope that you find a medication that doesn’t make you live in pain.

1 Like

I had stiff muscles on 6mg of risperdal and had to switch to haldol. So far haldol hasn’t given me stiff muscles, so that’s good.

1 Like