Anyone have a general physician that prescribes your AP

Mine won’t do it. Thought I’d avoid a Dr bill and get a prescription when I get my checkup every year. I only go twice a year and can’t foresee any med changes. I’m totally stable and would prefer to see a general physician instead of a pdoc.

Maybe they do it for liability purposes. Just like how the place doctor I went to wouldn’t sign a paper saying I was fit for work and might’ve cost me a potential job.

1 Like

Yes I call my GP for a prescription when I’m running short on meds, no longer seeing a pdoc. I’m in Europe, when the pdoc and I decided I was ready to be discharged he wrote some letter stating my condition and a relapse prevention plan to the GP.

1 Like

Yes. My GP will refill prescriptions, but all adjustments and med changes come from psychiatrist. I’m very stable and also live in a small town a few hours drive away from the psychiatrist.

1 Like

Same here. My “family” doctor gives me my prescription, but med changes must be authorised by my psychiatrist.

1 Like

Mine will if I have no Pdoc , which has happened in the past.

1 Like

My GP also give me a prescription for AP’s. I normally give him a copy of the psychiatrist’s script when I have visited the psychiatrist. My GP says that they are allowed to treat patients with sz.

1 Like

It’s not common for the GP to prescribe AP’s here in the States.
But they do prescribe Antidepressants and Benzos for Neurotic conditions.

2 Likes