Any news about encenicline?

The cognitive study doctor didn’t seem to think it’s successful either. But his only responsible for 2 currently in the study in my entire country. The study has been running since 2011 so I can assume he has been responsible for others.

I’ve been thinking I’ve deteriorated since knowing I’m on the drug. I’m thinking maybe I wasn’t on the placebo before and was on 2mg. Meaning I may have been decreased to 1mg and it’s become less effective.

But it’s hard to say, changing antipsychotics to something less effective doesn’t help matters. Originally I said I hadn’t noticed much improvement when I could have been on the placebo (in the first 6 months of trials) but maybe there was a minor improvement to have decreased when I got put on the extension.

To many variables. I was allowed to change any-psychotics in the second stage as I believe that part of the study is focused towards tolerability. I haven’t noticed any side effects so it’s good on that front.

The very first day of starting this medication I noticed some weird effects. But it went away quickly. Could have been my anxiety and being hypersensitive to changes in my body.

When the study is finished hopefully I’ll know which dosages I’ve been on in both stages.

2 days ago, they have prematurely taken me off the drug. As well as everyone else on the extension trial. As the FDA has taken action against a problematic side effect.

I’m not sure what this means for the future of the drug.

From what I hear “Bowel Problems” more namely “Constipation” has been affecting many of those with Alzheimer’s to the point they have needed surgery.

As far as I know nobody on the schizophrenia trial has required surgery.

This seems like some pretty disheartening news.

Although those on the first 6 months of the trial are continuing. Why they’re only stopping the extension trial is beyond me. I suspect because of this they won’t be accepting new people for the study until FDA release it’s hold.

Here is a well written article I found by typing “encenicline” & “constipation”. Couldn’t find any other articles on the net.

http://www.alzforum.org/news/research-news/rare-severe-gastrointestinal-side-effects-sideline-some-phase-3-encenicline

1 Like

Hi IFM - thanks for the updates.

Sorry to hear that you’ve been taken off the clinical trial for Encenicline. I saw the news and posted it here - but they are continuing the medication trial. It sounds like you might have been on the placebo anyway (if you were not seeing any results) - but as you mentioned, it might just be the change of medications that have thrown you off as you moved to Geodon.

Please keep us up to date as you hear more on this medication or the clinical trial!

1 Like