Any ideas on sth about antipsychotics?

Hello,
I am diagnosed with sz. My problem is, that I have tried several kinds of antipsychotics but none worked 100%, not even 50%, and some had serious side effects on me. My question is, is it possible for a person with sz to have an effect only on one antipsychotic even if he/she isn’t “cured” with all the others? For example I haven’t tried Quetiapine yet, and I am wondering if that could be effective in me. I have an appointment with my doctor in July, and I am worried because I heard voices recently so I would like to hear your opinions, thank you.

1 Like

Antipsychotics are just part of, not the whole answer. I saw a clinical psychologist, who worked on negative patterns and with another I did mindfulness for psychosis.

I wouldn’t worry that you still hear voices as Antipsychotics take a while to start working.

I’ve been on 5 and the next step would be clozapine or polypharmcy.

I still hear voices, but I manage them well enough to do a undergraduate degree.

Thanks for your answer! I have been on antipsychotics since 2008, but hadn’t heard voices for a long time, now they started again. Sorry that you still hear voices, too. My question is, is it possible for all antipsychotics not to work on you but one, and that one may work? And not of course Clozapine, because it is a dangerous medicine. Thanks!

I’m stable, but hear voices, so I’m not going to change mine again.

Sometimes they increase your dose or do a meds change if they stop working… But quite often it’s linked to not taking them as prescribed :wink:

No, I take them as prescribed now, used to take half a dose of one antipsychotic (I am on two), but then I wasn’t well so I took the whole dose, however there’s been a long time since then.

So happy for you @JH85!
What are you studying?
From what I remember you study at the UK Open University is that right?

Yup open uni, computing and IT

2 Likes

This is a chart that shows how they hit different receptors. You might be able to find just the right one or combination to get a better effect.

4 Likes

I have yet found an anti psychotic that has worked 100%. the best combo for me so far is Haldol with latuda, they work great but I still hear voices. I have tried risperidone three times abilify invega, and fanapt before finding latuda and Haldol.i have side effects from the Haldol though.

1 Like

Amazing, all they need now is a biological test to know which ones will work the best… Better than say DNA.

1 Like

Yes, and to know which ones are going wrong. And they’ll need more specific medications, we can’t target all neurotransmitters yet.

Maybe someday instead of brand name medications there will be compounding pharmacies and the doc will just prescribe X% of this, X% of that. Assuming biologic treatments like stem cellls haven’t fixed it by then.

1 Like

Quetiapine is a wonderful AP. I highly recommend it. I suffer from hallucinations in all spheres, paranoia, delusions, ideas of reference, grandiosity, mania, depression, anxiety and irritability. Quetiapine (or Seroquel) helped to ease my hypomania and irritability and eliminated my paranoia completely.

1 Like