Any drug that doesn't cause emotional numbness?

I feel like a zombie most times( all the time ) I am on abilify by the way,are there any drugs that do not cause this state …thank you

I am far from emotionally numb on Latuda.

1 Like

does it make the voices go away?

So far it has made them garbled and quiet, but, I JUST started 30mg 2 days ago, and that is a very low dose.

Emotional numbness is also part of the negative symptoms of this illness.

Blunted or flattened effect can really cut us off.

I’m also on Latuda and it has some mood stabilizing abilities to it… I’m not as cut off and wax covered as I used to be.

As far as making the voices go away… my doc says he could raise the dose and really blast the voices out of my head. But I’m not ready to raise the dose… sure the voices are annoying and distracting at time… but despite them… I feel I’m getting through my day pretty well.

I don’t want to tamper with the balance.

1 Like

Hi Adela, until last year, a friend of mine (SZ) was on Abilify…she lived with me for 2 weeks and honestly, I could always tell when she’d taken her meds - she would just change…like switching the lights off. She would just go blank…She’s since switched to something else and she’s back to her old self again…she recalls the 6 months she was on Abilify as ‘the fog’.

Have a discussion with your doctor; if your meds, at their current dosage, are making you feel like a zombie…then provided it’s safe to do so, I think a change should at least be considered.

In my experience, amisulpride and risperidone were the least bad in causing zombie like symptoms, and haloperidol and zyprexa and clozapine were the worst. But even with amisulpride, there remains a slowness, maybe its the illness too. My lack of motivation just doesn’t go away. Nothing helps.

Do you know what she took that didn’t cause the numbness

It’s still a low dose to know if it’ll cause numbness

I’ve read up on it a good bit.

Really I will have to try it then

I’d go with this. I’d say more emotional dullness comes from the illness than any particular med.

I was off of the medication for a month and my emotional sharpness came back…soo i’m pretty sure it’s just the abilify

1 Like

I’ve been on Abilify for years and haven’t experienced emotional numbness from it.

I guess it has different effects for different people

Saphris has been great for me. No emotional numbness like I was a zombie with clozapine. And no voices since I had my dose increased, that was back in January.