Anxiety/panic attack after taking antipsychotics

Hello
I’m wondering if anyone experienced this side effect from medication.

First time it happened when I switched from flupenthixol to quetiapine. For a few days it seemed to work fine. One day half an hour after taking it I felt a rush of anxiety coming out of nowhere. Day after I had an relapse of psychotic symptoms (in my case they are very mild and progress slowly getting worse each day without meds) so my psychiatrist switched me to 3g of flupenthixol.

After few days of feeling fine I’ve had the same thing happen but less intense. I never had this problem with flupenthixol before but I was taking lower dowes (0,5mg - 1mg), but this time I needed larger dose because the lower doses didn’t remove my psychotic symptoms.

Should I keep taking this dosage and wait till these symptoms go away on their own or should I contact my psychiarist? Actually I’m kind of scared that every medication I’ll try will have the same side effect on me.

Maybe it’s just a side-effect that’ll go away once you’re adjusted to the med. If it keeps on for a couple of weeks I would contact my psychiatrist for a med change. And no, you won’t react like this to all antipsychotics.

1 Like

Call your doctor right away to ask what you should do. He may want to wait, but he may want to make a change.

1 Like

No I’m the same with risperidone, it’s caused me to have major panic attacks until I started adding Abilify in micro doses.

Thanks to abilify I never get panic attacks.

Also, do you think your schizophrenia is caused by cannabis. Cannabis pschycosis and antipsychotics can cause panic attacks.

Abilify has saved me from extremely horrific risperidone panic attacks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I take both flupentixol and quetiapine. The combination works for me. But they are very different meds. Changing any meds can be hard. Speak to your doctor.